Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What's the hardest/most intellectual type of engineering?

germoongermoon Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
edited July 2008 in College Life
I'm looking for a challenge, but also the ability to innovate with the knowledge I gain in college, rather than just design vacuum cleaners. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Post edited by germoon on

Replies to: What's the hardest/most intellectual type of engineering?

• Russell7Russell7 Posts: 1,414- Senior Member
    probably engineering physics

at my school it's renowned as the hardest undergraduate degree.
  • alipes07alipes07 Posts: 545Registered User Member
    The people in the engineering forum have answered this question a few times....

It really depends on what type of intro class you find hardest. Most people would say physics, thus engineering physics.
    I wouldn't say that it has much to do with intro courses. Intro physics is pretty basic, like everything else. Physics just gets insanely difficult in the advanced courses and when you have to do 7 courses a semester like you have to for EngPhys at my university, it's a bit of a grind.
  • alipes07alipes07 Posts: 545Registered User Member
    What I mean is there is no universal answer for these typical "what is the hardest..." questions; its up to the OP to say what he/she finds challenging.

If by "basic" you mean easy, then you probably dont find many things challenging, Russell. Gen physics or Physics 1-Mechanics was the hardest intro class I've taken on my engineering track thus far, and many of my classmates would agree. For those who say engineering is made hard by its great courseload, I would still say physics 1(4/5 creds) had the most work, imo.
  • barronsbarrons Posts: 23,534Registered User Senior Member
    Chem E, EE and Aero E.
    If by "basic" you mean easy, then you probably dont find many things challenging, Russell. Gen physics or Physics 1-Mechanics was the hardest intro class I've taken on my engineering track thus far, and many of my classmates would agree. For those who say engineering is made hard by its great courseload, I would still say physics 1(4/5 creds) had the most work, imo.

I find lots of things challenging. Just not intro courses. Mechanics was a bit of a ****, though, I agree. Mechanics 2 was even worse. Engineering physics doesn't really have anything to do with mechanics, though. It's optics and waves and crap.
  • ElectricTechElectricTech Posts: 882Registered User Member
    Was electricity and magnetism actually easier than mechanics?

Most innovative type of engineering: EE & ME, because they're the most broad and applicable.
    Hardest: I'd 2nd barrons on the ChemE, EE, and AeroE. Maybe include engineering physics or engineering mechanics.
    Electricity and magnetism was easier than mechanics, IMO. It's just a bunch of applied calculus. Calculating flux, electric fields at a certain point, etc.

There was a pretty low class average, though, so most people did find it hard.
  • student14xstudent14x Posts: 782Registered User Member
    Even though I got A's in mechanics and electricity & magnetism, I changed my major to math because I want a life.
    what do you mean by that? Engineering degrees are versatile and you can work in many fields. I'm a former math major and now I'm in Mec E because it's (from what I understand) the MOST versatile degree.
  • Mr. BojanglesMr. Bojangles Posts: 824Registered User Member
    I 3rd Barrons...ChemE, EE, and AE are the three most widely regarded "tough majors" at my school
  • lethargytmlethargytm Posts: 1,068Registered User Member
    You guys are forgetting Nuclear Engineering.
    Not many schools offer nuclear, although it is supposed to be hard.

I don't get why AE is supposed to be hard. I thought that it was just Mec E with a few different courses. Maybe not.

And over here ChemE isn't supposed to be the hardest... more like 2nd teir behind EE and EngPhys. I've heard it described as "just a bunch of table-monkeying bull****." From the one ChemE course that I took, I have to agree.
  • cornell.2012cornell.2012 Posts: 22Registered User New Member
    If you're thinking of picking an engineering field based on whats hardest, I think that means you just need to do more research on the different areas.
  • gprimegprime Posts: 485Registered User Member
    It has alot to do with the school. For example, a school with a top 5 BME program, but whose other programs are ranked a fair bit lower, is going to offer the most challenge and intellectual demand in BME. But if their strength is ChemE, then obviously it would be the hardest and most mentally taxing engineering field.