Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Roommate stays up late, keeping me up

cjjbcjjb Posts: 4Registered User New Member
edited July 2009 in College Life
For the first few weeks of school, my roomate stayed out of the room until late and by the time he would return, I would be asleep and this worked out well. However, over the last few weeks, my roomate has stayed up in our room until about 2:30am playing video games on his laptop. I try to go to bed arround 12:30 and the light and noise from the laptop often keep me awake until he finally falls asleep. I am not getting enough sleep and am doing poorly in my early morning class as a result. I have tried ear plugs and a blind fold, but I find these rather uncomfortable. Is it unreasonable to ask my roomate to use his laptop in the lounge after midnight?
Post edited by cjjb on

Replies to: Roommate stays up late, keeping me up

• Nickel XenonNickel Xenon Posts: 3,067Registered User Senior Member
    Is he typing too loud or is actual sound like music and such coming from the laptop? You could ask him to put on headphones and turn down the light on his laptop.
  • cjjbcjjb Posts: 4Registered User New Member
    Loud typing, he is considerate enough to use headphones.
    I should clarify, I wouldn't mind the ear plugs and such once in a while, but it really sucks to wear them every night
  • bigreddawgiebigreddawgie Posts: 2,118Registered User Senior Member
    i have the same problems and have done nothing about it lol
  • ironmetal250ironmetal250 Posts: 743- Member
    Just tell him it's making it hard for you to go to sleep. If he doesn't stop or make a compromise get your roommate changed?
  • Nickel XenonNickel Xenon Posts: 3,067Registered User Senior Member
    Then my only suggestion is for you to tell him. Lucky for me that one of my roomates sleeps like a log. There were drunken people screaming in the hall and she didn't even notice. My other roomate stays up as late as me. But you two are going to half to come to some kind of comrpromise if it's bothering you this much otherwise you're not going to be getting any sleep.
  • BodaciousGBodaciousG Posts: 332Registered User Junior Member
    The best solution would be to just get used to it. However, if you really can't take it, just talk your roomie. Maybe he'll be nice about it and just go to the lounge at night. If he says no to that, I wouldn't push any further. I think different sleep schedules is just something you have to get used to in a dorm.
    I am not getting enough sleep and am doing poorly in my early morning class as a result.
    Also, are you sure this is the reason or are you just subconsciously using your roommate as a scapegoat?
  • ChellyBelly42ChellyBelly42 Posts: 334Registered User Member
    Even if he doesn't want to go to the lounge, you can ask him if he can sit somewhere where the light from the screen won't be in your face.

Also you'll get used to it eventually. I started the year waking up when my roommate's alarm would go off and when she'd leave in the morning but now I think it would take a bomb for me to wake up before my own alarm. Same thing with her, the first week or so she'd wake up when I came in at night, but now she sleeps through everything, even when I have the lights on (but I put my desk lamp on, not the overhead lights, I'm not mean).
  • IolantheIolanthe Posts: 148Registered User Junior Member
    typing can be annoying, but it's just something you have to learn to deal with. If your roommate was talking on the phone, watching tv, listening to music without headphones, having people in the room until late, or other such things you'd definitely have a valid complaint. Typing and a computer light is something you should be able to learn to sleep with.
    I know it can be difficult, but it's just one of those things you have to compromise on.
  • NewStudent12NewStudent12 Posts: 187Registered User Junior Member
    Maybe I've just been watching too much "House," but are you pregnant by any chance?
  • GoldShadowGoldShadow Posts: 6,160Registered User Senior Member
    typing can be annoying, but it's just something you have to learn to deal with. If your roommate was talking on the phone, watching tv, listening to music without headphones, having people in the room until late, or other such things you'd definitely have a valid complaint. Typing and a computer light is something you should be able to learn to sleep with.
    I know it can be difficult, but it's just one of those things you have to compromise on.
    I agree with this.
  • sleepymansleepyman Posts: 211Registered User Junior Member
    I stay up late but never in the room. If I'm on the computer at my desk and my roommate goes to bed I'll leave and come back later. If I stayed in there I know I'd deserve to be complained about.
    That's how I feel. If I wake up before my roommate, I stay out if the room.
  • ryuzaki2012ryuzaki2012 Posts: 87Registered User Junior Member
    lol... 2:30 is nothing. I go to sleep around 4:30 and my roommate usually gets back between 5-6am. you're lucky that he uses headphones instead of blasting the volume.
  • specifyspecify Posts: 726Registered User Member
    Get earplugs if you feel like settling (any grocery store). If not, be verbal about it.