Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Oh crap! Do colleges look at high school attendance records?

Blackroses216Blackroses216 Posts: 1,326Registered User Senior Member
edited February 2009 in College Life
So.. I am often tardy, and I do miss school. But i have a great transcript..

Do colleges look at attendance records??
Post edited by Blackroses216 on

Replies to: Oh crap! Do colleges look at high school attendance records?

• mcvcm92mcvcm92 Posts: 1,192Registered User Member
    I don't know, but it's a great question. You sound like one of my good friends. NEVER in school on a Monday... or a Friday. But, is very smart and gets great grades.
  • hellojanhellojan Posts: 1,619Registered User Senior Member
    You're counselor may mention it in a secondary school report. Also, when it comes time for your teachers to write recommendations they may mention it also.

"XXX seems like he/she could accomplish a lot if they just showed up regularly."

It doesn't sound like a stellar endorsement.
  • GiggitusMaximusGiggitusMaximus Posts: 1,633- Member
    It shows the number of absences on my transcript
  • apumicapumic Posts: 1,529Registered User Senior Member
    While your transcript may list tardies and absences (which would obviously hurt you), I would expect that the poor letters of rec will be the most damning way your attendance record will hurt you.
  • PathetiquePathetique Posts: 679Registered User Member
    My guess is that it would depend on your transcript, because unlike GiggitusMaximus my absences were not shown on my transcript (and I was freaking out all four years, because freshman year I missed over 40 days, then a bit less sophomore year, and so on).

It may to be included like how hellojan said too. In general though, no, I don't think most colleges make it a priority to know how many days of school you missed/been late to.
  • GoldShadowGoldShadow Posts: 6,160Registered User Senior Member
    Colleges do not care about your HS attendance.
  • randomgrandeurrandomgrandeur Posts: 671Registered User Member
    No. I missed 1/2 of my entire senior year and I still got in.