Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How does college help you grow as a student and a person?

AMGLeagueAMGLeague Posts: 299Registered User Junior Member
edited February 2009 in College Life
We always hear people saying We need a college education to succeed in life. But is it true? How can college help us grow as people, and as students? What can we learn from being a college student that we cannot learn from picking up a book in a library?
Post edited by AMGLeague on

Replies to: How does college help you grow as a student and a person?

• AMGLeagueAMGLeague Posts: 299Registered User Junior Member
    pretty quick tonight
  • Ari7Ari7 Posts: 489Registered User Member
    I think a big part of it is living on your own and gaining independence from your parents
  • icanreadicanread Posts: 508Registered User Member
    College is part real life experience, something that you can't get from a book. It's the process of maturing, taking on responsibilities, and planning a future.
  • RhapsodyinPinkRhapsodyinPink Posts: 235Registered User Junior Member
    Obviously, I've learned a lot in the classroom, but I think I've gained a lot of emotional maturity as well. Maybe I didn't need college to do it, but I find that living on my own and not having my parents watching me/telling me what to do 24/7 and having the freedom to make my own decisions has made me a much more responsible person. Also, I'm a lot happier with the person I am than I was before.
  • pmvdpmvd Posts: 294Registered User Junior Member
    - "We always hear people saying We need a college education to succeed in life. But is it true?"

If you are not a genius, a college education (or degree, depending on your taste) greatly improves the likelihood that you will do well in life. If you are a genius, a college education can't hurt and might even help a bit.

- "How can college help us grow as people, and as students?"

That's a good question :)

-"What can we learn from being a college student that we cannot learn from picking up a book in a library?"

If you are an auditory learner, I suppose that going to class can help you learn the material. Other than that, a good textbook is all you need. I am not sure there is anything else to be learned from college that can't be learned elsewhere, except perhaps interpersonal skills, but then again, that really depends on the person.
  • kindaslick89kindaslick89 Posts: 498Registered User Member
    Well you are gonna grow and mature whether you go to college or not in my opinion. College teaches you how to gain independence and prepare for life in the work world. It benefits some more than others, I am getting a bs liberal arts education so it might not be as critical for me than for say an aerospace engineer.
  • stargazerliliesstargazerlilies Posts: 1,470- Senior Member
    ^ why is a liberal arts education automatically bs? if you think your major is bs, then why did you pick it? i'm getting a liberal arts education, I love my major, and I've learned a lot. do what makes you happy.
  • mcb52mcb52 Posts: 1,485Registered User Member
    pretty quick tonight
    hehe ^^ amusing
  • akhman24akhman24 Posts: 586Registered User Member
    All college will do is grow your debt, while growing your knowledge (because you're studying while there....), while improving your job chances. (People like those people with proof that they are educated in the employment market).

I don't buy that it really grows you as a person. It might force you into activities like giving plasma for money because you can't get a job, or something of that nature. But I don't really see how it grows you as a person. It's kind of like a fantasy land. Everything you need is right there at your disposal, you don't have to cook, don't really have to clean much, don't necessarily have to work.