Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How to tell if a girl has a boyfriend?

augustuscaesaraugustuscaesar Posts: 395Registered User Member
edited April 2009 in College Life
1. What are the non-verbal signals other than a FB status?

2. How would a girl respond if you ask her: "Do you have a boyfriend"? Would she assume that you have a crush on her?
Post edited by augustuscaesar on

Replies to: How to tell if a girl has a boyfriend?

• kolomkolom Posts: 355Registered User Member
    1. The other non-verbal signals is her body language

2. The girl might just say "yes" or "no," and how you ask the question might come across as you being desperate. However, there is more subtle ways you can find out. Most likely if she has a boyfriend, she will mention him in the conversation. The other way way is to ask/comment her indirectly (e.g., "Are you this pretty for your boyfriend?" or "I bet your boyfriend is really lucky")
  • danw316danw316 Posts: 81Registered User Junior Member
    Just continue talking/flirting with her as if she doesn't have a boyfriend. If she has a boyfriend and feels uncomfortable, she'll let you know.
  • UpsilambaUpsilamba Posts: 587Registered User Member
    The other way way is to ask/comment her indirectly (e.g., "Are you this pretty for your boyfriend?" or "I bet your boyfriend is really lucky")

I personally, as a girl, would find that awkward; and, if I didn't have a boyfriend and was interested in the guy, it would be a mark against him. It's obvious that the real question is whether or not the girl has a boyfriend, and it makes the guy seem insincere, because he's asking in a way that a friend might ask those questions, only it isn't out of friendship, but rather self interest.

Ask some guy friends if they know if she has a girlfriend.
  • QuasiProfoundQuasiProfound Posts: 7,623Registered User Senior Member
    Why would you want to know if you weren't interested in her, exactly?
  • augustuscaesaraugustuscaesar Posts: 395Registered User Member
    ^ I am but I'm afraid if she knows you like her too soon then she might get scared.
  • Kaley89Kaley89 Posts: 91Registered User Junior Member
    If she doesn't know you like her how will you guys get together (since it seems you do like her)? Why don't you just casually ask her if she wants to hang out sometime? Then if she says she has a boyfriend, pretend you meant hanging out as friends.

She'll probably be flattered rather than scared.
  • Oz.Oz. Posts: 73Registered User Junior Member
    You have to let her know your interested in her. If not you can get "friend zoned" fast because she gets the wrong vibe from you and takes the relationship in a different direction.
  • frank01frank01 Posts: 182Registered User Junior Member
    Ask her to hang out, usually there are clues in the conversation, after talking for a while bring it up, straight up ask her if she has a boyfriend... Or you can find out from a friend of yours/hers?
  • Euler321Euler321 Posts: 597Registered User Member
    I don't even know why it would matter. Why do you care if she has a boyfriend? Why are you thinking of dating her when you don't know much about her? You should assume she doesn't have one until she tells you, and even then it shouldn't matter. What if she has a boyfriend but is losing interest? What if she is dating a scrub, and you are her soul mate?

Pursue her, and if she tells you she has a boyfriend then that is great. Be friends with her, and sehow she feels about him. If she tells you how awesome he is all the time then you know she isn't going to leave him so at the very least you have a new friend. If she tells you about how much he sucks then there is potential for you to steal her away (if that is what you want).