Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

feeling retarted

protonproton Posts: 1,021Registered User Senior Member
edited May 2009 in College Life
sometimes when i feel really emotional and things get heated between other people and I, I have a hard time trying to articulate in words what im feeling or what the problem is to the person whom i am talking to. i can actually feel my brain literally overheat cause my brain is searching for the right words to say but no words come out cause my brain can't figure out what to say fast enough. in other words my brain shuts down just like how a computer shuts down when it overheats and as a result does not function.

am i just dumb?
Post edited by proton on

Replies to: feeling retarted

• Another_AdamAnother_Adam Posts: 513Registered User Member
    Pick your battles. It sounds as if you get emotional/heated often with people (enough to notice patterns about it, anyways...), which isn't a good thing to begin with.
  • protonproton Posts: 1,021Registered User Senior Member
    ^ that wasn't the point. the point is that my brain doesn't work well for me. i want it to think in words but it fails me. my brain crashes from trying to make it work too hard.

i want my brain to back me up during arguments but it fails me.
  • Easton722Easton722 Posts: 466Registered User Member
    naw, the same problem happens to me. when i get so heated at people my face gets red, and my voice starts to shake pretty badly-like i cant find what to say, but what i do happen to say is really cracky//shaken off. it's pretty funny :) it's only happened twice in like the past few years but i know what you are talking about. so no, you aren't dumb for this. you're only dumb for spelling retarded, "retarted"
  • pmvdpmvd Posts: 294Registered User Junior Member
    For some people it's the opposite, the more ****ed off the more articulate they are.
  • TA3021TA3021 Posts: 790Registered User Member
    ^ LOL! That describes me now that I think about it. Once someone told me that I sound "normal" when I yell.
    You should try to defuse the argument. Try to calm down so the other person who is yelling just looks irrational and stupid, not matter how right they are. The cool, collected person wins every argument for not letting their emotions overtake logic.
  • UpsilambaUpsilamba Posts: 587Registered User Member
    You're just flustered, I think.
  • nastynate0315nastynate0315 Posts: 1,277Registered User Senior Member
    I'm sorry but I read this thread and LOLed.

I think you need to just chill and focus more on getting the right words out without the emotion. You don't need to be loud, angry, or aggressive to win an argument, especially when you are dealing with a person who acts that way. It's always better to just calmly rip your opponent apart because when they freak out and you look unphased by their anger they lose it.
  • VigoreVigore Posts: 90- New Member
    Yes you are retarted.
  • sublimosublimo Posts: 283Registered User Junior Member
    Sorry to say it, but if you feel retarted....you might just be retarded

jk, couldnt resist lol
  • panther124panther124 Posts: 253Registered User Junior Member
    If it was enough of an issue that you felt you needed to ask about it, you should maybe talk to a psychiatrist or therapist about it in detail. Chances are they'll reassure you it's nothing to worry about, but at least they'll probably have some productive advice. Don't get information off of an online forum about problems like this, because no one will take you seriously.
  • protonproton Posts: 1,021Registered User Senior Member
    panther124 wrote:
    If it was enough of an issue that you felt you needed to ask about it, you should maybe talk to a psychiatrist or therapist about it in detail. Chances are they'll reassure you it's nothing to worry about, but at least they'll probably have some productive advice. Don't get information off of an online forum about problems like this, because no one will take you seriously.

im sorry but i don't believe in "therapists" or "psychiatrists" cause they tell you what you want to hear and what you already know. take this piece of advice: theres a sucker born every minute and only a sheep sucker would go to that kind stuff. you opened up a can of worms but this thread isn't really about that. sorry if im coming off as an a hole cause im not trying to be but i have my own opinions.
  • markos.alejomarkos.alejo Posts: 106Registered User Junior Member
    wow.
  • CollegehelllpCollegehelllp Posts: 434Registered User Member
    I believe there is a difference between not being able to articulate well and being retarded.
  • PlattsburghLoserPlattsburghLoser Posts: 5,487Registered User Senior Member
    I want a lemon tart.

And what is with the type of people CC consistently attracts? Makes me worry about me...
  • pmvdpmvd Posts: 294Registered User Junior Member
    proton wrote:
    im sorry but i don't believe in "therapists" or "psychiatrists" cause they tell you what you want to hear and what you already know. take this piece of advice: theres a sucker born every minute and only a sheep sucker would go to that kind stuff. you opened up a can of worms but this thread isn't really about that. sorry if im coming off as an a hole cause im not trying to be but i have my own opinions.

Sometimes, mental health professionals will also tell you things that you don't want to hear. The fact that you don't want to hear them, however, does not mean that they are true and that you are unwilling to accept the truth, it could also mean that the mental health professional failed to properly read the patient. It happens all the time, it's just that the more neurotic types like you and I wouldn't let a mental health professional get away with ******* advice.