Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What is a Custom Edition Book?

themousethemouse Posts: 11Registered User New Member
edited May 2009 in College Life
One of my courses requires a book that is a "custom edition". What is the difference between a custom edition book and a normal edition book? Will it hurt me to get the normal edition?
Post edited by themouse on

Replies to: What is a Custom Edition Book?

• kollegkidkollegkid Posts: 1,007Registered User Member
    Some of my books are custom editions. Not sure of the difference between these that are college-specific and the general editions.
  • izzyizzy Posts: 239Registered User Junior Member
    it has a different cover and has "[insert college name here] custom/special edition"

sometimes selected chapters are edited out. one of my custom edition textbooks had 3/4 of the book cut out.
  • LogicWarriorLogicWarrior Posts: 3,671- Senior Member
    Sounds like a way to overcharge you.
  • woamiwoami Posts: 423Registered User Junior Member
    I don't know if this might be the case, but I happened upon this article last night.

As Textbooks Go 'Custom,' Students Pay - WSJ.com
  • themousethemouse Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    So will I be just as well off buying the standard book? Or should I get the custom book?
  • izzyizzy Posts: 239Registered User Junior Member
    you should find out the differences between the editions; ask other students and the prof about it as well.
  • themousethemouse Posts: 11Registered User New Member
    Okay, this is what my school has to say about the custom edition:
    Do I really need to get the book?

The short answer is, YES! Why? Not only does the book contain all the information you will be tested on, but the custom version contains the Learning Objectives you will need to use in studying the material, as well as a custom study guide and practice tests to help you study. No matter how wonderfully your teacher explains things in class, or how great the teacher's notes are, they cannot cover everything you will need to know. You will be tested on the material in the book, whether or not your teacher covered it in class, and there is a lot of material, making it almost impossible for your teacher to cover all of it in class.

So I'm assuming I can just buy the regular edition, then borrow someone else's book and copy down the learning objectives?