Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How Many Credits is Too Many?

way2cre8ivway2cre8iv Posts: 27Registered User New Member
edited May 2011 in College Life
Ok, so I registered for classes by mail a couple weeks ago. The packet I got said that most freshmen take around 15 credits, and I had signed up for 17 (because of a couple 1 credit seminars). However, I misread the form and put alternatives for a class that didn't need them. So, the councilor thought that I wanted to take an extra class and is scheduling one of the alternatives as an actual class. Now, I'm up to 20 credits! The only thing is, I really like all the alternatives I chose and would love to take the class. I'm just not sure if I'll be overwhelmed. Should I take the class anyways, or drop it and take it later?
Post edited by way2cre8iv on

Replies to: How Many Credits is Too Many?

• Another_AdamAnother_Adam Posts: 513Registered User Member
    If you feel you'll be overwhelmed, take it later.
  • rsala004rsala004 Posts: 828Registered User Member
    first time in college i guess, the answer is yes

drop 6 credits or 5

dont underestimate a 1credit course
  • PlattsburghLoserPlattsburghLoser Posts: 5,487Registered User Senior Member
    Well, you usually have several weeks to decide whether or not to drop the course, attend the class for a week or two and decide how you feel. If it's too much, drop the class. If you think you can handle it, keep going.
  • qihqiqihqi Posts: 224Registered User Junior Member
    its ok...
    I know people who do 30 credits a term...
  • PlattsburghLoserPlattsburghLoser Posts: 5,487Registered User Senior Member
    Holy hell. I'd die.

Wait, that's not thirty credits in like...Papier Mache Creations of the Romantic Era 101, or Women's studies, is it?
  • SparklingStars13SparklingStars13 Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    many people would say along the lines of not suggesting taking more than 15 credits for a freshman. that's because you really want to have a social life and adapt to the college life during your first year/semester.

but in the end, it's your choice of choosing it. =)
  • b@r!umb@r!um Posts: 9,453Registered User Senior Member
    I found that I can go over the recommended course load but I will get less out of every single class because I only do what's absolutely necessary. When I take fewer classes I have more time to engage with the material in each one and I will retain much more once the semester is over.

Otherwise I second PlattsburghLoser. Attend the classes for a week or two, see which classes you are the most interested in and how many you can handle, and then decide which classes to drop. Most colleges will let you drop classes shortly into the semester without a penalty.
  • Mesquite_girl24Mesquite_girl24 Posts: 977Registered User Member
    im taking 18 hours this year as a entering freshman (one of them is a community service thing that will end before the school year really kicks off) and the program we used to register for classes would not let me take anymore than 18, although im really only taking 17 cuz i wanted to add a 1 credit honors seminar about Freakonomics.
  • Klockan3Klockan3 Posts: 201Registered User Junior Member
    Holy hell. I'd die.

Wait, that's not thirty credits in like...Papier Mache Creations of the Romantic Era 101, or Women's studies, is it?
    I am taking higher end maths/physics courses with ~30 creds per term.(~200% normal rate)

It is certainly not impossible to do, just not for everyone maybe. It all depends on who you are, some are working their ass of barely making 15 and others thinks that 15 is like a breeze.
  • akhman24akhman24 Posts: 586Registered User Member
    I took 16 my first semester of freshmen year and 18 second semester. I had plenty of time with the 16 to do everything. Second semester I got a job, and worked a lot of hours, which made a time crunch. But with a job, 18 seemed very doable to me.
  • rsala004rsala004 Posts: 828Registered User Member
    what major, what university ...it all factors in greatly
  • way2cre8ivway2cre8iv Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    Thanks everyone for your help. I emailed the school and asked to drop the extra class. There's too much I want to do my first semester to worry about taking too many classes.
  • psych_psych_ Posts: 1,418Registered User Senior Member
    edit.........
  • SingDanceRunLifeSingDanceRunLife Posts: 1,787Registered User Senior Member
    I'm an entering freshman and I'm taking 17 my first semester because I've literally got no choice. The only thing I got to choose was whether I wanted to take Western Civilization or World Civilization.
  • tapedDucktapedDuck Posts: 705Registered User Member
    If you have no experience with college courses, start out with at most 18 credits. Then, if you are comfortable, take more.

I started with 18 credits and am now consistently taking 22+ (some semesters of 25+), with work, research, and volunteering. It is not very hard, but occasionally I come across a class that I have trouble with, but I feel like I would have done the same even if I had more time.