Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Average Time Spent Studying/Work

1 Sky Pilot1 Sky Pilot Posts: 558Registered User Member
edited July 2009 in College Life
If anyone could tell me, I'd just like to know how long the average *successful* college student spends studying or doing work outside of class per week (hours). Key word: successful. As of now I'm a biology major and will be taking two lab classes. I'm not sure how much extra time labs are normally...I'll have four classes total.

I'm not a speed learner, it takes me a while to absorb stuff if that helps :p.

I'd just like to know because I'm thinking about committing myself to a few outside activities and I'd just like to know how much time I have to budget...having never been in college I dunno how times work out :p.

Thanks!!!
Post edited by 1 Sky Pilot on

Replies to: Average Time Spent Studying/Work

• Alix2012Alix2012 Posts: 1,246- Senior Member
    I'm a science major, I generally do 18 creds each semester (4 classes + Labs) and i think i did pretty well freshmen year. Mon-Weds I had class 5 hours a day, Thurs about 3 hours, and no class Fridays! Mon-Weds is generally when I would do HW or study, I was done by 4pm so I would spend like 3-4 hours doing hw afterwards. I also went to club meetings Mon/Weds night and managed to see my friends around dinner, so not too much work. I had a job Thurs/Friday and then went out afterwards, so I wouldn't do any work then. I had the weekends free to cram in any extra work, although I'd generally enjoy my Saturday and then cram stuff in on Sunday.

Also, even if you have Lab for 3 hours a day, you'll only actually be in Lab for like half that, just read it ahead of time and know what you're doing. I don't think I ever sat through the entire lab!
  • S0adS0ad Posts: 914Registered User Member
    I'm a science major.
    I don't know how you measure success but going to into junior year my gpa would be a 3.7 if I remained at my previous college.

Labs really do take up a lot of time. I would spend about 3 - 4 hours writing up a lab report each week. If you have two labs then it can obviously go up. Other than that I spent about a few hours studying each time I had an exam in a class (longer for midterms/finals). If I had a paper (depending on length) it could take any where from 2 hours to two days (not a consecutive 48 hours but it sure felt like it).

As far as readings, I skim. Readings only took me about 2 - 3 hours in a week. In a loaded week maybe 5 (For all classes combined, not per class). It would take me way longer if I read everything. Also, once you learn a professor's test style, its easier to know what you should read and what you shouldn't really bother with.

So I don't know, it really varied for me. Some weeks I would only do 3 - 5 hours of work a week, while some weeks I could be doing well over 30 hours of work.

I took 14 credits my first college semester and found myself with way too much time. In my sophomore year I took about 18 credits, with some work intensive classes and was at class/work from 8am to 5pm and then worked until about 8pm or 9pm (worst. semester. ever).