Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Dorm layout

hoodlumhoodlum Posts: 10Registered User New Member
edited August 2009 in College Life
I am going to be living in a "double" on North Residence complex at Harvey Mudd.

I know this is a stupid question, but what exactly is a double??

Does it have 2 rooms, one for me and one for my roommate, and a central space.

What is the layout??

Please forgive my ignorance.
Post edited by hoodlum on

Replies to: Dorm layout

• comiclovercomiclover Posts: 685Registered User Member
    Go to your schools site. Find the housing page. They should have descriptions for rooms and stuff.

Edit: Here I am feeling nice: http://www.hmc.edu/studentlife1/studentservices1/orientation1/packet41/dormfaqs.html

Typically a double means you are in one room with someone else, two beds, desks, dressers etc.
  • CollegepirateCollegepirate Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    A "double" means that you and one other roommate is going to be living in the room. As comiclover said, you room will have 2 beds, desks, dressers, closets...

You may see people mention that they have a "triple." All this means is that 3 people are going to be living in the room. It will be furnished with 3 beds, desks, dressers...
  • BatesieBatesie Posts: 18Registered User New Member
    Hi there,

At HMC, doubles in the Quad dorms (North, South, East, West) are all pretty much the same. A double in any of these dorms means that you'll be sharing one room (your basic, rectangular dorm room) with another person. I believe each bed is lofted over a desk. There will be a door in your room that opens up to a full bathroom that your room will share with another double. Not a bad setup.

Let me know if you have any other questions about Mudd (I myself am not an alum but have family connections and have visited so many times that I feel at home there!)