Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How did you pay for your dorm cost?

fasty1fasty1 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited August 2009 in College Life
What did you do to pay for it? and is it really better than living with your parents while going to college?
Post edited by fasty1 on

Replies to: How did you pay for your dorm cost?

• Gordon_GekkoGordon_Gekko Posts: 352Registered User Member
    Back when I went to school I started paying $500 per month then the 2nd year it was around $720... For $720 I had 3 roommates, a private bedroom, shared bath for 2, and a 7th floor view looking out over Tampa Bay... For the money it was a pretty good deal considering the location but I believe its closer to $800 now. I used to work a few days a week as a security officer locally to pay for it.

I think it's definitely worth living on campus. If you commute you just don't get the real college experience. Its a great environment, less the occasional immature shenanigans certain people pull... You've just got to be careful who your roommates are, living with the wrong people will really cause problems.
  • chickenboi8008chickenboi8008 Posts: 2,500Registered User Senior Member
    About $10000 the whole school year
  • October47October47 Posts: 1,021Registered User Senior Member
    If you live close enough to commute, commute. You'll be saving yourself so much money it's not even funny. When you really add up the cost for room & board, plus tuition, for each year, it comes to a scary amount. You can make your "college experience" whatever you want it to be, regardless of where you live.
  • AbbyPAbbyP Posts: 279Registered User Junior Member
    I live too far away from my school to commute, but financial aid covers most of my room and board cost. It's about $12,000 per year together and I'm in a low-cost room.
  • TwistedxKissTwistedxKiss Posts: 2,535Registered User Senior Member
    I commuted for two years and it sucked. It was very hard to make friends because I was missing out on so much not being there, I spent ALL my free time driving back and forth, I had to drive all the way to school any time I wanted to use a campus resource or meet with classmates, the gas was expensive, I was constantly driving through snow storms desperately trying to make it on time for exams, and I never really got to feel like I was part of the school. Dorms are expensive but if any of that matters to you it's WORTH IT, I am happily finishing my education living on campus. It's probably somewhere from $6,000 to $10,000 a year including the meal plan, but I go to an expensive school, it's only $6,000 or $7,000 at the cheaper schools around here.

Whether or not it's worth it really depends on what's important to you. I have been very unhappy and feeling like I have been missing out the last two years. For example, midnight curfew at age 20-- just because you turn 18 doesn't mean you don't have to follow your parents rules anymore if you still live in their house. No parties, no going out dancing, and I have to leave any social gathering by 11:20 to get home so I miss out on a lot. I can't work enough hours to pay for an apartment and still go to school full time, so my choices are living the high school lifestyle with my parents until I turn 22, or pay for the dorm.

The "college experience" was a very important experience for me to have, I've looked forward to it since I was 10 years old. Some people would rather graduate with less debt. That's probably pretty smart. For me it was worth it. It depends on you.
  • art-syart-sy Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    Living on campus held no value for me. Maybe because my school is huge so you don't get that 'dorm experience' and people don't leave their doors open etc etc. The only thing I miss is the safety of campus at night. There is a different between walking in the neighborhoods next to campus late and walking on campus late that I took for granted. Now I live off campus and I like it a lot better - older students, I can cook, way more of a community feel than on campus, and it's half the price. I live within walking distance so I didn't have the problems commuters have but I would not say living on campus is a thing you must do. On campus cost me over $8k, and now I pay $4k.