Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Worst class you've ever taken?

silly09ersilly09er Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
edited September 2009 in College Life
What is THE worst class you've ever taken, undergrad or graduate, and what made it suck? (huge workload, ***hole teacher, boring pre-req class, etc..)
Post edited by silly09er on

Replies to: Worst class you've ever taken?

• diontechristmasdiontechristmas Registered User Posts: 2,891 Senior Member
    Accounting.
  • UCSDJake12UCSDJake12 Registered User Posts: 399 Junior Member
    art histozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • guttergutter Registered User Posts: 257 Junior Member
    Uhh, well I'm only in my first semester of college, but I'm getting the distinct feeling that my Chemistry Lab is really crappy, and I'm actually dropping it soon to take against next semester (for a variety of reasons, not because it's crappy).

I love every single one of my classes except my Chem Lab. The TA that runs my Chem Lab is horrible at explaining things, is purposefully unhelpful, and has a difficult-to-understand accent that is only made worse by his choppy sentences. He also seems to have quite a bit of an attitude, which goes along with being purposefully unhelpful.

My Bio Lab TA is actually really cool. His English is no better (probably even worse) than my Chem Lab TA but he's genuinely helpful and tries to be flexible with us. The rest of my classes are taught by actual professors who are all extremely interesting and accommodating.

I'm hoping that the exception to the rule is my Chem Lab TA and that I didn't just get extremely lucky with the rest of my courses.
  • TwistedxKissTwistedxKiss Registered User Posts: 2,535 Senior Member
    Bio 101. My professor would forget her lecture notes and cancel class, or cancel class to go shopping. Promised to email study guides but almost never remembered, made us all freak out over the lab exam only to make up three questions off the top of her head. Told us, in all seriousness, that old people smell bad because they are fermenting and once this fermentation occurs they are more likely to spontaneously combust. Spent several class periods discussing why America was a better place to live than India. We learned all about how her husband is an engineer and couldn't find work here, so he went back to India but she refused to go. Also all about her daughters dating practices. I had such a high grade simply from the knowledge I had retained from 10th grade biology that even if I failed the final I still would have had a 4.0, so she told me not to come. I think we reported her to the dean.
  • dreakoldreakol Registered User Posts: 195 Junior Member
    math.......plain and simple.
  • NuclearPakistan1NuclearPakistan1 Registered User Posts: 1,285 Senior Member
    United States History...
  • somebodynewsomebodynew Registered User Posts: 2,895 Senior Member
    Introduction to Chemistry for Engineers. The professor's lectures were horrendous. He took the slides that came with the textbook and went over them in a slow, low, monotone voice. It was also a 250 person lecture. I ended up with a C...which doesn't matter since I dropped engineering at the end of that semester anyway.
  • HisGraceFillsMeHisGraceFillsMe Registered User Posts: 4,782 Senior Member
    English 101.

My teacher spent 6 weeks going over basic grammar.

Seriously?
  • b@r!umb@r!um Registered User Posts: 10,070 Senior Member
    I have a tie between Multivariable Calculus and Data Structures. Both could have been very valuable classes if they had been taught better... (Or taught at all. By a professor. In the scheduled room at the scheduled time. Regularly. *cough* *cough*)
  • maxellismaxellis Registered User Posts: 1,172 Senior Member
    Business Law. It is soooooo boring (and this iscoming from an accounting major).
  • SingDanceRunLifeSingDanceRunLife Registered User Posts: 1,787 Senior Member
    HisGraceFillsMe - That's why you do well on placement tests. At least at my school English 101 is the remedial level, and 102 is the actual freshmen level.

I'm also only in my first semester, but anatomy&physiology sucks...mostly just cause my professor doesn't teach.
  • hops_scouthops_scout Registered User Posts: 3,903 Senior Member
    Variety of Literature, Economics, Psychology--- all completely BORING!

Nutrition for Life--- only saw it 5 classes previous to taking nutrition. But it's a requirement..
  • willmingtonwavewillmingtonwave Registered User Posts: 3,344 Senior Member
    Intermediate Italian
  • Cards4LifeCards4Life Registered User Posts: 1,211 Senior Member
    Last year took an intro course, this year I'm in the next course in the sequence.

So far we have read 3 articles that we also read last year, done the exact same survey activity (make a survey regarding would people support a new rec center, distribute randomly on campus, collect and analyze results), and our semester-long group project is almost identical to what we did last year. Only difference is last year we picked our groups and this year they were assigned. Different instructor.

I feel like I'm paying for a course I already got an A in, and bored out of my mind.
  • HisGraceFillsMeHisGraceFillsMe Registered User Posts: 4,782 Senior Member
    HisGraceFillsMe - That's why you do well on placement tests. At least at my school English 101 is the remedial level, and 102 is the actual freshmen level.

This is why we don't make assumptions.

I placed out of English 101 (which is, at my school, the actual freshman level). But I was in a special honors program my freshman year that required me to take it with the rest of the students in my program.