Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

A to Z: What To Bring To College

Replies to: A to Z: What To Bring To College

• CORDIECORDIE Registered User Posts: 158 Junior Member
    We are in the digital age: laptop w/ hi memory & speed, all cables, chargers, back up rewriteable dvds, portable usb ports, 4 in 1 color printer (real cheap now) (fax, Xerox, scan, print), plenty of ink cartridges, printer paper, table, Microsoft student edition package of Word, PPT, Excel, virus protection. Set up logons & p/w on excel & back up on dvd disc; mla or apa citation manuals,thesaurus, digital camera, money for debit card (used to Xerox); possibly some extra software (science-graphing; arts/geography-corel draw); meds to cover headaches/respiratory infections; sunglasses, watches & alarm clocks. Learn how to use college library system esp. online databases. Never pay for journal papers not stored in the home library-it's like 4 bucks a page.
  • MonmorkMonmork Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Thanks for the list...!
  • foodisawesomefoodisawesome Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    According to my sister, UCR has free condoms haha.

So check with your campus (if it's not awkward) to see if they give out free condoms before buying a ton.
  • nofreshman15nofreshman15 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    A lot of helpful super long lists! Here's a resource that will help with preparing yourself to eat better. Also a key consideration is whether you're allowed to have small appliances i.e. microwave, blender, portable cooktop, crockpot.
    https://myweightclinic.com/how-to-eat-healthy-in-college/
  • jieceejiecee Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Thanks for this thread. This is reall helpful.
  • HarvardBound50HarvardBound50 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    I suggest bringing a sorbet maker machine, it will really benefit you in the long run.
  • UICstudent917UICstudent917 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    Usually Campus Housing will give out a list of what to bring. I will tell you what not to bring though. Do NOT bring ANY illegal drugs or alcohol. Also no weapons. You MIGHT legally carry pepper spray (consult your campus police or staff first if you would like too). Pepper spray is great self-defense tool.
  • pdtechpdtech Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
  • LoganButterfieldLoganButterfield Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Do not forget yourself.
  • xxluvforeverxxxxluvforeverxx Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    Definitely a rice cooker. That takes care of breakfast, lunch, and dinner for us Asians.
  • zannahzannah Registered User Posts: 458 Member
    These lists are indeed comprehensive. After you get to school, dig out your version of the list and go to dollar stores, grocery, Walmart and so on to get your stuff. I think plastic trah cans and zippy baggies are good. For shoes, use the bags from stores. You might want a contained with specific areas to stow to pharmacy stuff, soap powder and so on. Dollar tree is a good source of cheap hangers.

Clothes, shoes, and many other things can be ordered online and delivered. Amazon prime gets you lots of free delivery as well as movie stele vision and music.

Absolutely necessary if you will live in icey or snowy place after snow shoveled into ice.... Yaktraks or an alternative brand. I wear one pair or have it with me and another in the car Ah, broom and sturdy shovel for the car. Airports and other public parking do shovel lanes, but that snow is piled between cars and on handicapped ramps on sidewalks.

Keep your head covered when it's cold or wet. You make look better without a hat but colds are not a good look.

• conceptcatconceptcat Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    I saw the "lots of ink cartridges" thing and it reminded me, if you can live without color printing, you can get an ancient laser printer off craigslist which (sometimes with an adapter) will be faster, more reliable, and WAAAAY cheaper to operate than an inkjet.

I got a Laserjet 1100 for $20, put $15 of memory in it, and I haven't replaced the toner in it yet despite using it for over five years. The cost per page is far cheaper than inkjet. It starts working almost immediately without the unbelievable song and dance that some of the multifunction units do. And I could smash a modern inkjet to pieces with this printer and it would still work fine after.

Oh, and it was manufactured in 1997 and has printed over 17,000 pages in its life.

If you don't object to a tank, you could get a Laserjet 4, 5, or 6. The 1100 is nice and small though.

Food for thought, at least.
  • IdarucizumabIdarucizumab Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    I read "foreign language dictionary" and "cordless phone" before realizing this list was from 2005