Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

A to Z: What To Bring To College

kateapollokateapollo Posts: 133- Junior Member
edited January 2014 in College Life
1) This is a composite, alphabetical list of what to bring to college.

2) If you have worthy suggestions about what else a student might like to bring, please list it. If you have specifications-- like what types of bandages students should bring, or what snacks are popular in dorms etc-- please list it as well.

Other than that, just ignore items on the list you don't think are necessary and don't complain about it, because it doesn't help anyone.

This composite list is very much for Gianievve and LiquidPaper, two people who were kind and appreciative towards my effort and wanted to see a composite list. Here it is. Thank you. :)

I apologize to those who I annoyed by posting various categorized lists about what to bring to college. I am NOT spamming or trying to sell anything.
Post edited by kateapollo on

Replies to: A to Z: What To Bring To College

• redski59redski59 Posts: 1,381Registered User Senior Member
    Wow Kate! This is very helpful! We should be the ones to thank you! :)
  • PEALS-05PEALS-05 Posts: 585Registered User Member
    That's a long list. I haven't really thought about half of that stuff.

But of course, thank you. :)

Redski: Are you going to be at USC too? I am going to be in Parkside dorms this fall. :)
  • LiquidPaperLiquidPaper Posts: 385Registered User Member
    This is awesome! Thank you so much for putting in the time and effort to make this composite! It's a long list and I'm sure that a lot of energy was spent collecting this info. Honestly, screw anyone else who thinks these lists are pointless. That may be the case for a tiny minority, but there are many prefrosh who would like as much help as they can get (i.e. ME). I like the pointer of contributing things that people think could benefit us. Once again, thanks for your help and please, just ignore people who think otherwise. There will always be negative people on boards, so just let it be.
  • gianievvegianievve Posts: 1,821Registered User Senior Member
    Thank you kate!
  • sucharitasucharita Posts: 3,820Registered User Senior Member
    wow that's a really comprehensive list!
  • beck86njbeck86nj Posts: 805Registered User Member
    I don't understand why you're so bothered by the thought of people posting other opinions on the things you suggest. I agree that it's great that you made up this list, but I think that the addition of other opinions can only make it more useful. For example, "yes, I also found item x useful, but for a different reason," and "item y could come in handy, but you might want to think about [concern] before bringing it," are both helpful.

For instance, you list a Foreman Grill. That could come in handy, but anyone who wants to bring one of those would need to refer to school-specific documents on what is (and isn't) allowed in dorm rooms.
  • kateapollokateapollo Posts: 133- Junior Member
    "I don't understand why you're so bothered by the thought of people posting other opinions on the things you suggest"

This is because, on previous lists, I was personally insulted and derided merely for listing certain things that other posters did not agree with or find necessary. They seemed to feel as if they were justified in bickering and complaining about my lists when in actuality they could simply ignore what they did not find necessary and leave it at that.

"I think that the addition of other opinions can only make it more useful. For example, "yes, I also found item x useful, but for a different reason," and "item y could come in handy, but you might want to think about [concern] before bringing it," are both helpful."

I agree. Anyone is free to be helpful, it's the personal insults and complaining that I feel is unwarranted and won't help anyone in the long run, other than exposing gracelessness and empty argumentative tendencies.
  • redski59redski59 Posts: 1,381Registered User Senior Member
    Hey Kate, I'd suggest that you ask the moderators to make this thread a sticky. Then it will stay on the main page without people having to bump the thread.
    Redski: Are you going to be at USC too? I am going to be in Parkside dorms this fall.
    Hey Peals, I'm in Parkside too! 6-person suite!
  • Mackie45Mackie45 Posts: 713Registered User Member
    I'm just bring a toothbrush/toothpaste and a change of underwear. lol. Great list!