Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Starting a new sport in college?

Collegebound911Collegebound911 Posts: 80Registered User Junior Member
edited March 2010 in College Life
Hi! I'm a senior going to college next year. Im just wondering if it is common to change sport/start a new sport in college. I've always done sports throughout high school but never was really good enough/liked a sport enough to really pursue it at the college level but I like being active and involved so I wanted to start a new sport/club on a noncompetitive level just for fun. Is it common in college for people to join a totally new club sport that they havent done before. Do a lot of colleges have club sports for people who've never played before/are just there for fun?
Post edited by Collegebound911 on

Replies to: Starting a new sport in college?

• nemomnemom Posts: 1,607Registered User Senior Member
    Sure - lots of people do it. I took up a new sport in college that I had barely done at all beforehand and kept with it for a long time after college. Colleges vary, but most have club sports.
  • Manhattan75Manhattan75 Posts: 523- Member
    RUGBY! Here is why:

1) It isn't an NCAA sport, so all college programs are walk-ons with 100% acceptance so long as you attend practices and workouts, but many of the high profile teams also have a coaching staff and compete regionally.

2) This should be #1, 2, and 3 - RUGBY IS AWESOME.

3) RUGBY IS COMING BACK TO THE OLYMPICS! If you start playing Rugby now in college, you could put yourself in a position to be on the Olympic team! Fun Fact: The one and only time Rugby was an Olympic sport, the United States won GOLD!
  • BatlloBatllo Posts: 3,047- Senior Member
    Intramural sports. Get enough people( people on your floor, your dorm, friends, friends of friends, whoever is interested) to make a team and join the intramural league. Coed teams are the most fun but the most difficult to get everyone together to practice, if you insist on practicing.