Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How much clothes to bring?

royallypurpleroyallypurple Posts: 24Registered User New Member
edited April 2010 in College Life
I was wondering how much clothes freshman usually bring to college their first year? I don't really know how one would quantify this, but...yeah.
Post edited by royallypurple on

Replies to: How much clothes to bring?

• nikkernikker Posts: 172Registered User Junior Member
    Well it depends where you are going

(Not trying to be a smart a** btw, I'm serious...)
  • applicannotapplicannot Posts: 4,366Registered User Senior Member
    It also depends on how often you do laundry and if you mind wearing the same clothes often. I usually like a combination of 3-4 bottoms (jeans and shorts) with lots of tops (10-15). I also make sure I have a formal, business formal, and suitable business casual outfit on hand, but only because I'll be going so far away from home - the closer you are to home, the fewer "occasion" outfits you will need (i.e., a nice dress). I am not really a shoe person, and will probably stick to a pair of flip flops, athletic shoes, an all-terrain shoe (hiking boots), and a pair of every day sneakers.

It sounds like a lot when I write it down, but then I look at the clothes and it isn't really that much, ha.
  • SingDanceRunLifeSingDanceRunLife Posts: 1,787Registered User Senior Member
    I brought like all my clothes...and that's sufficient for about 3 weeks between washing.
  • icanreadicanread Posts: 508Registered User Member
    I'm assuming you're a girl (royallypurple?) so I'd advise you to bring some nice tops, dresses, skirts, and heels (nothing absurdly fancy) for going out, rush events, dates, etc. Do not bring a bunch of t-shirts that you're gonna wear to the gym or to sleep because you get a lot of free tees at campus events (especially if you're a frosh). If you're going home before the weather gets cold, don't bring your winter stuff. Bring your warm weather clothes home in the winter and rotate. You probably won't have a big closet so beware of hauling all your stuff in at once.
  • royallypurpleroyallypurple Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    oh right, i forgot to mention i'm choosing between a school in new york and massachusetts

i'm typically a cute top with a light jacket and jeans kind of girl. not too girly, not too tomboyish

and i'll be able to go back home easily during breaks to switch my winter/summer clothing.

at home i normally do laundry once a week...but i'm not sure if that usually changes when people go to college?

i just wanted a gauge on what the typical freshman brings and how much of their wardrobe they end up buying while at college

-thanks!
  • SingDanceRunLifeSingDanceRunLife Posts: 1,787Registered User Senior Member
    I've only bought a couple of new things all year. Not enough to make a real difference in my wardrobe.

Also, I do laundry about the same amount as I did at home, which as I said is ~every 3 weeks or so.

My winter/summer stuff is pretty much the same since I wear t-shirts, jeans and hoodies...so there were only some things that I had to worry about switching with the weather such as dresses/skirts, jackets, boots, sweaters and scarves. The rest of my stuff I brought and have kept in my closet and dresser.

I live just over an hour away from my school, so travel and bringing things back and forth isn't a problem either.
  • LeesamurmurLeesamurmur Posts: 101Registered User Junior Member
    I was in the minority - I brought about 90% of my clothes (then again, I was going from GA to PA and was worried about weather and all that, and I wasn't able to go home to get more when I needed them).

I can say that personally, I love having so many clothes, not because I have a ton of options but because I never have to do laundry. It stinks having to do it a lot when you have to pay for it.

Also, it wasn't hard to store all my clothes. I have a closet full (using magic hangers too, highly suggested), one small shoe rack (9 pairs), 2 drawers full (one of out of season clothes, and one of undies/workout clothes/oversized shirts), and one drawer for accessories (scarves, mittens, hats, etc). It sounds like a lot, but really, it wasn't.

Depending on how often you go home, you can obviously do without the out of season items and whatnot, but I didn't get to :( Hopefully this helps!

PS - A lot of my friends who didn't bring as much ended up buying a lot more while at college. The only thing that I had to buy was a large heavy jacket (because obviously, I didn't have one, coming from GA), but a lot of my friends had to buy things that they had left at home, or extra shirts, the like.