Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Majors that can get you a job right after undergrad?

wakkawakka Posts: 269Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2010 in College Life
I want to be a doctor. However I don't want to major in biology for example b/c if I change my mind, I won't be able to get a job w/ that major....
Post edited by wakka on

Replies to: Majors that can get you a job right after undergrad?

• XaeroxXaerox Posts: 31Registered User New Member
    Try engineering, they make good money right out of college
  • gotakungotakun Posts: 550Registered User Member
    You can major in anything as a pre-med. Don't quote me on this, but I think I read a statistic somewhere that said like 30% of accepted medical school students majored in psychology.
  • helixmomhelixmom Posts: 38Registered User Junior Member
    neuropsychology or chemistry or engineering
    something that will prep you for the MCATS
    modern medical practice involves use of robotics and other high tech instruments in which engineering background is highly beneficial
  • wakkawakka Posts: 269Registered User Junior Member
    no i know i can major in whatever i want for pre-med...so im asking what i should major in in case i change my mind... :)
  • collegebustcollegebust Posts: 15Registered User New Member
    I second chem - probably one of the most employable sciences.

I also second engineering. Probably one of the most employable...anythings.

Since you can get into med school no matter what your major is, you also might want to consider comp sci, business (esp. finance). Just make sure to ask your school about a pre-med "track" which will have you taking some bio classes and other things to prepare you for the MCATs.

Honestly, though, you can get a job with any major. The trick is interning as soon as possible. Good thing most schools and departments within schools shove internship opportunities down students' throats. English majors do internships with nonprofits, the government, blahblah. So even English majors get jobs. I have heard of bio majors struggling...but I think it is because they are less creative in their job search, quite frankly. Getting a job is about getting EXPERIENCE and about being persistent, interviewing well, writing good cover letters, and looking outside of the box.
  • justtotalkjusttotalk Posts: 939Registered User Member
    What are your interests? Even if you don't become a doctor, your major should probably resemble something you like doing....

Some generic answers:
    comp sci
    accounting
    statistician/actuary

Edit: Collegebust answered it
  • WooflesWoofles Posts: 278Registered User Junior Member
    You can major in anything as a pre-med. Don't quote me on this, but I think I read a statistic somewhere that said like 30% of accepted medical school students majored in psychology.

yeah... that can be explained because if you want to be a psychiatrist, you also have to go to med school.

med school is not just a place for surgical doctors mmmmkay.

But to go along with what you were trying to say - plenty of people get into med school with very "unrelated" majors. I read a statistic that said the most popular undergrad major for med school students was history.
    personally i dont like the science besides psychology and stuff like that lol. I'm thinking of majoring in that or neuroscience though, not sure yet
  • DCHurricaneDCHurricane Posts: 2,976- Senior Member
    queer studies
    @DCHurricane: why did you even post here? too cool for school?
    so cool even penguins get the chills around me
    Lol..I'd say you're pretty cool then. What do you suggest?
    There's no major that will guarantee a job. Even engineers are having harder times, mainly due to the recession but also due to this country allowing more and more outsourcing of jobs...

Anyway, the majors that will probably have a higher chance of landing you a job will be things like the hard sciences, math, economics, accounting, engineering, etc.

Like others have said, you can major in anything really, just do those pre-reqs for medical school. If you do major in psychology, know that it's hard to get well-paying employment with just a BS. It'll definitely open doors to jobs that just require a bachelor's in anything, but those will have more competition. You can go to grad school and become a psychologist, or med school and become a psychiatrist (as well as other disciplines of medicine). Psychiatrists can prescribe medicine (unlike psychologists) since they're MDs, but they often are also therapists. For instance my therapist is technically a psychiatrist, since he's an MD.
  • gotakungotakun Posts: 550Registered User Member
    My advice is not to take advice about this from college or high school students. I honestly don't know who to tell you to get advice from, though. You could hop over to SDN and scout out some MDs (or DOs haha >_>; ) and PM them, but they don't always have the most optimistic outlook. I've been told flat-out not to pursue a career in medicine by a few physicians on SDN. Physicians are paranoid and scared for their futures with the changing health care policies. The recent graduates with BA/BS psych degrees complain about the job market, but maybe it's because the ones with jobs don't go to SDN and complain. :p

Personally, I'm just going to pursue my psychology interests and call myself pre-med and just go wherever there's opportunity. No one can predict the future, so there's no guarantee you will have a job waiting for you with any major.