Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Pets in dorms?

nj2011momnj2011mom Posts: 2,636Registered User Senior Member
edited August 2012 in College Life
What schools, if any, allow small pets (ie/ a rabbit) in dorms? My D plans to be an animal science major and she's been told some schools allow animal science or pre-vet students to keep a small pet in their dorm room.
Post edited by nj2011mom on

Replies to: Pets in dorms?

• college_querycollege_query Posts: 2,390Registered User Senior Member
    Stephens College, a private all-female college in Columbia, Missouri, allows pets (even small dogs) in some dorms. They have a strong equestrian program with an animal science emphasis and also a biology major for pre-vet.
  • icanreadicanread Posts: 508Registered User Member
    Dorm rooms are tiny. Unless your daughter is in an apartment-style house, that bunny is not going to be happy :(
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,797Registered User Senior Member
    Since when to bunnies need that much space? I thought they lived in cages.
  • MD MomMD Mom Posts: 6,728Registered User Senior Member
    Cornell allows pets in some dorms.
  • cabhaxcabhax Posts: 765Registered User Member
    Sounds like an awful idea to have a pet in a dorm.
  • nj2011momnj2011mom Posts: 2,636Registered User Senior Member
    He's 8 years old, weighs 3# and lives in a 2x3 cage, which can easily fit under a raised bed. He runs around the house about an hour/day, otherwise he is quite happy to live in his cage in our family room where he sees everything going on.

Our Vet told us she could have small animals at Rutgers in the late 80s, but she's not sure if that rule has changed.
  • SmithieandProudSmithieandProud Posts: 3,038Registered User Senior Member
    My roommate kept mice in our dorm even though it technically wasn't allowed. I know others who have kept small animals, fish, etc in their dorms (some schools allow you to have any pet that you can hold underwater for three minutes without killing it. So fish and turtles and frogs and other things that live in terrariums). A rabbit I think would be an issue because as you say, he's used to running around for an hour each day and I do not think that most roommates would be chill with having an animal running around. I imagine that those schools that allow small animals for pre-vet and animal science students intend that rule to apply to animal test subjects that the students need to monitor overnight, not personal pets.
  • ponysingermomponysingermom Posts: 27Registered User New Member
    Eckerd College in St. Petersburg, FL has pet friendly dorms, students may care for caged pets and cats and small dogs up to 40 lbs. in their rooms.
  • MD MomMD Mom Posts: 6,728Registered User Senior Member
    ^^But no ponies?
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone Posts: 2,414CC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    Check out this story about pet-friendly campuses and some of the specific school policies in The New York Times today: Colleges Extend the Welcome Mat to Students? Pets - NYTimes.com

Eckerd College (mentioned on this thread) is listed. I like the Eckerd policy of allowing only pets who have lived with the student's family for at least ten months and are at least a year old.

I've seen too many colleges students acquire cute kittens and puppies on a whim and then neglect or abandon them when they realize how much work is required to care for them.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Posts: 8,115Registered User Senior Member
    I think Reed college allows pets in one of the dorms.
  • faustarpfaustarp Posts: 1,531Registered User Senior Member
    the Cornell dorm where you can have pets is called Ecology House, and the animal science major is in the Ag school (CALS.)
  • hlsesshlsess Posts: 651Registered User Member
    Stetson University mentioned this when we toured in March- new president thought it would be a great idea- but they had to be a certain size-small -and caged when you are not in room- seems mean to me
  • xrCalico23xrCalico23 Posts: 4,673Registered User Senior Member
    I know that MIT allows cats in one of the dorms.