Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Good majors for people who aren't that great at math

DCHurricaneDCHurricane Posts: 2,976- Senior Member
edited July 2010 in College Life
Okay so quite frankly I'm not that great at math. I don't suck at it, but I don't really enjoy it. All these lists and studies I see of the highest-paying majors and 'best' majors only seem to show majors that require a high aptitude and somewhat high passion for math. Quite frankly it's given me the impression that most people who aren't good at math will be relegated to reaching their peak income at around $60K, unless you go into something like law.

But I know that isn't true. So what are some good majors (that is, majors that lead to generally well-paying fields) for those of us who would rather not think in numbers 24/7?
Post edited by DCHurricane on

Replies to: Good majors for people who aren't that great at math

• b@r!umb@r!um Posts: 9,518Registered User Senior Member
    So what are some good majors (that is, majors that lead to generally well-paying fields) for those of us who would rather not think in numbers 24/7?
    Very few majors generally lead to well-paying careers, especially if well-paying means significantly beyond the $60K mark. The median household income in the US hovers around $50,000 a year. Maybe you need to adjust your expectations for what constitutes a good income?
  • soccerguy315soccerguy315 Posts: 6,698Registered User Senior Member
    want to teach in Montgomery County?

if you have a masters degree, you get $70k/year after 10 years... $80k/year after 14 years.
    http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/ersc/docs/salary_schedule_mcea_current.pdf
  • fa-la-la-lenafa-la-la-lena Posts: 2,844Registered User Senior Member
    economics. The average starting salary is upwards of $45,000, I read one article that put the starting salary of economics majors equivalent to those of accounting majors. Economics doesn't have to be math-based hardly at all (but I don't know if that fits your standards)
  • justtotalkjusttotalk Posts: 939Registered User Member
    import blsgov;

public class NewCareer{

private String[] careers;
    private int numUsed;

public static void main(String[] args){
    final double CAREERS_A_LIBERAL_ARTS_MAJOR_NEEDS = 100000000;
    Career dcHurricaneCareers = new Career(CAREERS_A_LIBERAL_ARTS_MAJOR_NEEDS);

final double MIN_SALARY = 60000;
    for (int i = 0; i < careers.length; i++){
    if (blsgov > MIN_SALARY)
    dcHurricaneCareers.add(blsgov);
    }
    System.out.println("Your career options are: ");
    System.out.print("careers ");
    }

}

public Career(int numOfCareers){
    this.careers = new String(numOfCareers);
    this.numUsed = 0;
    }

private void shiftRight(int index) {
    for (int i = this.numUsed; i > index; i--) {
    this.list = this.list;
    }
    }

public void add(String s) {
    this.shiftRight(this.numUsed);
    this.careers[this.numUsed] = s;
    this.numUsed++;
    }
  • DCHurricaneDCHurricane Posts: 2,976- Senior Member
    "want to teach in Montgomery County?"

i'd like to get the hell out of here frankly. change Montgomery County to King County, WA and now we're talking.

@ b@r!um, $60K isn't a ton of money in the DC area. Conversely, it's plenty to get by comfortably in Kansas. It's all relative.
  • fortifyfortify Posts: 1,161Registered User Senior Member
    Business would be a good choice
    DCHurricane, I do realize that some areas of the country are cheaper than others. However, 84% of Americans live in metropolitan areas, so cheap Kansas does not skew the median income numbers all that much.

The median household income in DC is still only $58,000.
    No worries my liberal arts friend. I can code your search for a better career.
  • maeamaea Posts: 726Registered User Member
    System.out.println("Your career options are: ");
    System.out.print("careers ");
    }

Um, you know that your "code.. for a better career" would simply output the following:

Your career options are:
    careers careers careers careers careers careers

.... etc careers.length times. Sorry for jacking the thread, but epic fail code is something I must comment on. Don't overuse quotation marks, kids!
  • TappmannTappmann Posts: 268Registered User Junior Member
    Law, medicine, finance, consulting, academia, etc.
    economics
    Business
    finance, consulting
    Wait... I thought we were brainstorming careers that we not about numbers?
  • TappmannTappmann Posts: 268Registered User Junior Member
    You don't need to be particularly good at math in any of those careers (except economics). There may be some math involved, but it's hardly complex or difficult to learn.
    "for those of us who would rather not think in numbers 24/7"

I had the impression that the OP was looking for careers that were as little quantitative as possible. Finance, consulting, and many branches of business (as soon as it involves accounting) are primarily about crunching numbers.
    sorry for jacking the thread, but epic fail code

Lol, good catch.

I could argue that it's not a failure at all. The array that gets printed represents reality.
  • thumperrthumperr Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    Disagree on the Econ comment. Introductory economics has hardly any math (just graphs really), but anything beyond introductory is heavily math-based from my experience.

Also, business is a good choice for people who don't like science or humanities. But because it is such a broad field, it can range widely. Accounting, contrary to popular belief, is actually very basic math.

But if that doesn't suit you, have you considered a career in medicine or law?