Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Cheating during tests

VanagandrVanagandr Posts: 730- Member
edited August 2010 in College Life
I was speaking with my old professor the other day and he noted that certain students were cheating, so we swapped notes. We both noticed the primary methods of doing so were switching calculators and using cellphones. Other than these two methods, what methods are most favoured by cheaters at your school?
Post edited by Vanagandr on

Replies to: Cheating during tests

• NastyPoliticianNastyPolitician Posts: 202Registered User Junior Member
    Small cheat sheets.

Writing in important information on the back of the scantron or on the scranton in the areas where you write your name and stuff. People do this and then erase stuff and then put their name, fill out the scantron correctly.
  • AtomicCafeAtomicCafe Posts: 867Registered User Member
    I've seen people write really light notes into their desk if they can't remember an equation or name. No one can see it walking by, but the cheater can read it.

Slips of paper with notes on them in their sleeves or fist.

Keeping an open textbook on the floor next to them. [Usually in big lecture halls or when the professor leaves the room during the test. No idea why they do that.]

Switching calculators, definitely.
  • QwertyKeyQwertyKey Posts: 4,590Registered User Senior Member
    I have never seen or heard of anyone cheating on a test in any of my classes. Some people copy homework and such, but never cheating on a test.

Actually, I take that back. I have seen people continue for a minute or two after time is called, while people are still putting their names and handing in their tests. But other than that, nothing.
  • EnginearsrfunEnginearsrfun Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
    you can't consider writing a note on the desk cheating as long as it is done after the test is handed out. On several occasions I have memorized equations out of the book until they tell me to put it away and begin the test, then I write everything I can remember down onto the first or second page of the test, this is not cheating.

I have seen people write notes on the back of a water bottle wrapper and tape it back on.
  • PunkchiquePunkchique Posts: 378Registered User Member
    saving answers in graphing calculator notes application
  • akhman24akhman24 Posts: 586Registered User Member
    Using a very fine printer, making a very small cheat sheet which is inserted into a pen.

Wearing multiple shirts, and then putting pages of notes in the under layers.
  • XirusXirus Posts: 80Registered User Junior Member
    you can't consider writing a note on the desk cheating as long as it is done after the test is handed out. On several occasions I have memorized equations out of the book until they tell me to put it away and begin the test, then I write everything I can remember down onto the first or second page of the test, this is not cheating.
    I agree.

And weirdly enough, I don't think I've even seen someone use a cellphone to cheat. It's mostly the writing on desk (and put a pencil over it or something) that happens in my experience.
  • akhman24akhman24 Posts: 586Registered User Member
    That's cool that a national talk show uses a gmail address called [email]nationaltalkshow@****[/email]!
  • speedsolverspeedsolver Posts: 1,859Registered User Senior Member
    I've heard that someone has written things in such an artistic way it blended in with his tattoo covered arms...

The water bottle trick is actually really common... when I was in middle school we had people taking high school math and science level classes and they treated us like we were in high school with the same test-taking procedures: They checked EVERYONE'S water bottles, calculators, EVERYTHING before we were allowed to enter the room because cheating was so prevalent at the high school.

@DPTalkShow... really? No choice but to cheat? Cheating IS a choice and if someone can't handle the load they should consider another path or decide how to handle the situation better. If they're unprepared for the exam, prepare better next time. Spend more time on that particular subject.
  • PathetiquePathetique Posts: 679Registered User Member
    I do think cellphones are the most common. I've seen that one done a few times. It's mostly girls I've seen do it (not that men don't cheat or use phones), and they put it in between their legs, and just squeeze their legs together to cover it when the TA walks by.

I've also seen notes being left out, writing on the desk before the exam, and most things covered in this thread, but cell phones was most common.

One kid was ballsy enough to actually have his a note sheet still sitting on his desk, sitting below the exam.
  • speedsolverspeedsolver Posts: 1,859Registered User Senior Member
    Oh I just remembered! This girl in high school pretended to have a cold, and had written pencil notes (so barely noticeable) all over her home-brought box of tissues. She'd take out the tissues, transfer all the notes onto her test, then use the tissues then throw them away.

The teacher finally found out why she was actually getting good grades (usually B-/C+ student) because the girl was a bad liar and couldn't say that she was studying with a straight face.
  • ISUClubISUClub Posts: 790Registered User Member
    cheating is for stupids.

I saw this girl in a computer lab taking a test on the computer. She had her notes sitting on her lap and she secretly flipped through them. How is that suppose to help you? It will waste your time and you'll probably end up with a crappy score anyway.

actually, this belongs in a gray area. In my book, it's cheating. Just like someone copying a sentence from wikipedia and pasting it on your own paper. Or even read a paragraph from a website, and rewrite it in your paper in your own words. Many professors consider that cheating. Source: radio.
  • darkdreamdarkdream Posts: 391Registered User Member
    If you can cheat easily and get a good grade, then that class is probably not rigorous. Why cheat in a class that is easy? It seems to be more work than not cheating haha.
  • EnginearsrfunEnginearsrfun Posts: 63Registered User Junior Member
    ISUClub i don't know how you can compare using equations out of the book to outright plagiarism. What, are you supposed to derive them? And there is no rule that says you can't write everything you know/can remember on the test paper while you are taking it...i consider a useful test-taking tool actually. I don't see any gray area there. Could you explain your reasoning? I'm curious.
  • ISUClubISUClub Posts: 790Registered User Member
    They should give you everything you need on a test. Don't your tests provide formula sheets? Writing down formulas is no problem; they should be provided on the test. Writing down keywords on the desk before a history multiple choice exam, however, is cheating.