Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

How do you start drinking coffee?

withlovemeganwithlovemegan Posts: 173Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2010 in College Life
I know this is probably a silly question, but I want to start drinking coffee so I'm not sleeping through my 8 AM classes. I realize it's mostly just an acquired taste, but how should a beginner do it? How much sugar/cream? Any brand I should stick to?
Post edited by withlovemegan on

Replies to: How do you start drinking coffee?

• SingDanceRunLifeSingDanceRunLife Posts: 1,787Registered User Senior Member
    Psh! Man up! You don't need coffee! Go to bed earlier/get used to getting up earlier.

I mean...if you want to drink coffee, then just do it. Brand doesn't matter. The amount of cream/sugar is completely up to you.
  • DCHurricaneDCHurricane Posts: 2,976- Senior Member
    with a cigarette
  • Emaheevul07Emaheevul07 Posts: 5,924Registered User Senior Member
    I drink instant coffee, which tends not to have as strong of a taste as regular brewed coffee. I drink folgers, and I take it with one heaping teaspoon of coffee mate (the powder kind) and two tea spoons of sugar. That is what I like, but everybody has different tastes. That's just what I was raised on because that's what my mom drinks.

You don't NEED coffee to be up for an 8am class, you just need to go to bed at a reasonable hour. Coffee is only going to do so much. Personally I wake up better with a glass of ice water. But if you want to experiment with coffee, that's cool too-- there are TONS of different flavored creamers you can use, and different sorts of coffees will have different tastes.
  • OminousRunOminousRun Posts: 690Registered User Member
    Start with lots of sugar (or sweetener) and use some flavored cream (coffee-mate rocks). Dial back if you have too much sugar or cream until you like the taste.

Iced coffee is a good way to start too.
  • sapphire_oceansapphire_ocean Posts: 942Registered User Member
    i would say ice water as well! hmm... but if you really want to start drinking the dark magic, creamer-vanilla flavored is pleasant-i like the coffee mates that are liquid form. just be sure you have water on hand for the dehydration/sugar overload if you didnt buy sugar-free
  • kerrbokerrbo Posts: 228Registered User Junior Member
    my mom, in her late 30's, decided to start drinking coffee (whatever) and she would add a big rounded tablespoon of good vanilla ice cream - took care of the cream AND the sugar at the same time...plus cooled it down quickly.

I crave it once or twice a year myself - yummy!
  • TRUFFLIEPUFFTRUFFLIEPUFF Posts: 1,999- Member
    Starbucks FTW.
  • IceFireIceFire Posts: 595Registered User Member
    Start with a caramel frapuccino at Starbucks, you'll never go back
  • Neocutey24Neocutey24 Posts: 89Registered User Junior Member
    It's mostly a mind trick. I say start with french vanilla cappuccinos (They're delicious...) and just convince yourself you're drinking coffee. That'll work fine. Try not to procrastinate in the afternoons, either, just do your work. Then sleep.
  • AnouchiAnouchi Posts: 207Registered User Junior Member
    Any specialty coffee from Starbucks or McDonalds iced coffee, and then work your way up with lots of cream and sugar, then less and less until your a bona-fide coffee drinker :D
  • ItachirumonItachirumon Posts: 1,016- Member
    When i started I'd put a large amount of creamer in, powdered stuff.. One soup ladel's worth, which is like 3 tablespoons. You'll get used to the taste. Also, Iced Cafe Mocha or Mocha Frappuchinos ftw.
  • dawncomingdawncoming Posts: 739Registered User Member
    In order to stay up, initially. Then coffee made me sleepy, when drinking too much; Now I drink very strong tea instead.
  • DCHurricaneDCHurricane Posts: 2,976- Senior Member
    Try and start with iced coffee or at most a cafe au lait. If you start with something like caramel machiattos then you'll start to only drink caramel machiattos and trust me that adds up quickly. Plain old coffee, even from Starbucks, is very cheap.
  • FutureCFOFutureCFO Posts: 125Registered User Junior Member
    What a weird question, but anyways - Start with the kind of coffee that any type of person would like. Examples include Iced Mocha Coffee, Vanilla/Caramel types, Starbucks Frappachinos are probably the best (Caramel my personal fave).

If you've never had coffee before it might not be the best idea to start with regular coffee. Some people start that way and from that time on have already predetermined that they don't like coffee. hope that makes senses
  • Kaiser GatsbyKaiser Gatsby Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    You're going to be living on your own, and you can't even figure out how to concoct a common beverage which to you is an "acquired taste." Get some sense of confidence and individualism, there is no such thing as a beginner coffee drinker. Don't waste your money regularly on Starbucks or McDonalds overpriced coffee. Making your own is far cheaper, and often better.

I started drinking coffee when I was 15, and had to wake up at 5:00 AM for drivers ed. 8:00 AM classes going to be hard? How did you get through high school? Waking up early toughened us up, don't give it away just so you can be like every other lazy student out there. 8:00 AM is nothing. Half the energy you will get from coffee is a placebo effect. Caffeine is a drug, although a mild one. If you start drinking it regularly, you won't get any stimulating effect, just a washing away of the lethargic withdrawal symptoms.

The only thing I regret, is not starting it black. Don't use creams, don't join the crowd of morons that can't drink a beverage that isn't watered down and saturated in sugar. Really, I plan on going a couple weeks without caffeine, that way when I need a one time energy hit, coffee will do it. Don't blow away the stimulating effects of caffeine because you don't have the self discipline and drive to handle an 8:00 AM class.