Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

UCR vs UCSC vs Cal Poly Pomona vs Cal Poly SLO vs San Jose State for Computer Science

linochlinoch Posts: 397Registered User Member
edited November 2010 in College Search & Selection
would you guys decide on a school based on this information for computer science major??

UCSC - PayScale - University of California, Santa Cruz (UCSC) School Salary, Average Salaries
UCR - PayScale - University of California, Riverside (UCR) School Salary, Average Salaries
Cal Poly Pomona -
PayScale - California State Polytechnic University, Pomona School Salary, Average Salaries
Cal Poly SLO - PayScale - California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo (CalPoly) School Salary, Average Salaries
San Jose State -
PayScale - San Jose State University (SJSU) School Salary, Average Salaries

So.. apparently, UCSC graduates get paid the most in the field of computer science major.
So the ranking for getting paid goes:
1. UCSC
2. UCR
3. Cal Poly Pomona
4. Cal Poly SLO
5. San Jose State

I have heard that Cal Poly SLO has the strongest engineering program among these schools. But I somehow got this information from my friend and my friend told me to go to UCSC instead for computer science program.... but what do you guys think?? I believe this is not necessarily true. Do you guys think this is true?? Are UC schools really more respected than those CSU schools or does it even matter which school you go to?
Post edited by linoch on

Replies to: UCR vs UCSC vs Cal Poly Pomona vs Cal Poly SLO vs San Jose State for Computer Science

• ricegalricegal Posts: 1,350Registered User Senior Member
    First of all, note that this information is culled from alumni and it depends upon which alumni responded to the survey. Let's hope that most did. Second, It's hard to tell about the Cal Poly data because Sr Software Eng doesn't appear on the list. If you compare UCSC and SJSU, Sr Software Eng has very similar starting pay for both schools while the difference on the high end is nearly $20K. What this tells me is that both schools prepared students for the same entry level job at the same salary, but the talents and personalities of the people coming out of UCSC allowed them to progress to a higher level than the people coming out of SJSU. It's not clear that the higher salaries are due to their education. It could be how driven to success the person is or how well he or she works with others or it could be that more people from UCSC are entrepreneurs. What I'm trying to say is that mid-career salaries are less determined by what others think of the person's school and more what the person actually does. Of course, this is just an average so you will have some overlap.
  • Cageman9876Cageman9876 Posts: 1Registered User New Member
    I would definitely go to Cal Poly SLO, it is probably one of the best schools out of the 4 and has strong majors for all program. When it comes for the time for me to apply to transfer out of CC, I would definitely apply to Cal Poly Slo. That is why it is as selective as the mid tier UC's, because of it's quality of teaching and other factors.
  • linochlinoch Posts: 397Registered User Member
    If you look at popular degrees for BS in Computer Science on the section under Key Statistics, It'll tell you that UC's get paid more than Cal Poly

Bachelor of Science (BS/BSc/SB), Computer Science (CS)
    UCSC $69,663 - $109,509
    UCR $59,972 - $103,177
    Cal Poly $62,510 - $94,500
  • BrownParentBrownParent Posts: 8,023Registered User Senior Member
    Look at UCI as well.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Posts: 21,708Registered User Senior Member
    UCSC IS rather strong in comp sci, (perhaps due to Silicon Valley being just over the hill?.)

SLO is a wonderful collegiate experience, but be forewarned bcos it, like all of the Cal States, has a poor four-year graduation rate (~20%). Most kids take 5+, so if finances are a concern...
    i wouldve gone to UCI if i got accepted there. ehh i guess it doesn't matter if a certain school has strong comp sci program. i guess it depends on how hard i work.... i think ill be going to either cal poly pomona or ucr since it is close to my hometown. But anyways, thanks guys!
  • ickglueickglue Posts: 283Registered User Junior Member
    Salary data by majors for individual universities is notoriously inaccurate due to massive under-reporting (alumni are surveyed and most don't reply), and misreporting.

I would be even more weary of any "free" salary data that have high degree of supposed granularity (e.g. by major and specific university) because the information is very difficult to collect and thus compensation advisory firms don't give away these kinds of data for free. Instead, they sell the information to firms like HP, and MSFT to guide they compensation salary policy for entry level staff. So whatever your cited earlier, I would take it with a grain of salt because it just could be of a sample size of 5 people reporting.

I also think your thought process need some revisiting. If you are basing your choice of college on salary data, then that is probably one of the worse way to choose a school. Graduates get a certain kind of job/salary because of a whole host of attributes. Attributes such as level of mastery of their field of studies, GPA, communication skills, maturity, and resourcefulness in job seeking, to name a few. If you attend UCSC but barely graduate with a 2.0 GPA, I am pretty certain your salary will not be in the highest order. Worse yet, if you don't graduate then you got a even bigger problem (students failing to graduate is very common).

Finally, if you are determine to use salary as a driver for your decision, the most accurate data out there is probably based on overall university graduates' average earnings (not by majors).
    I'm not trying to base my choice of college on salary data. I just wanted to see how each college will prepare me for a career. I also wanted to hear opinions from others.
  • ickglueickglue Posts: 283Registered User Junior Member
    Did you read what you wrote earlier?

"would you guys decide on a school based on this information for computer science major??"

And Payscale is not in the business of helping you to understand how college will prepare you for a career.