Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Do I need to take SAT subject tests for UC's ? Tank you :)

crafmancrafman Posts: 11Registered User New Member
edited January 2011 in College Search & Selection
Hey guys I'm a junior in High school. People told me that "I dont need to worry about SAT subject tests anymore" is this right ?.. So UC's dont need the Subject tests anymore ? Im about to be 12th grade in 4 moths .. Thx for your time any Answer :)
Post edited by crafman on

Replies to: Do I need to take SAT subject tests for UC's ? Tank you :)

• UCLA Band MomUCLA Band Mom Posts: 1,180Registered User Senior Member
    That's true. AP subject test have largely replaced the SAT subject tests, although you can still submit the subject test scores if you want to showcase your talents in that area.

UC examination requirements:
    University of California - The examination requirement

UC subject requirements:
    University of California - The subject requirement
  • SDMomof3SDMomof3 Posts: 363Registered User Member
    Starting with the Class of 2012 (your class),they are not required anymore. However, some think they are still a good idea to do, particularly if you are shooting for the upper-tier UCs like Berkeley or UCLA.
  • neekzgneekzg Posts: 1,005Registered User Senior Member
    No, you don't need to take subject tests to be considered for admission.

However, applicants (ESPECIALLY those considering specific schools within a university, like the engineering schools) should still feel compelled to take them. It can make you more competitive than the many applicants that will decide not to take them.
  • crabbie1234crabbie1234 Posts: 225Registered User Junior Member
    You don't have to since its not required but if you're strong particularly in an area, you should still take it! If you're taking AP Biology you should take the SAT II biology because its SO MUCH EASIER than the real AP exam.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Posts: 21,445Registered User Senior Member
    Do you need to take them? No.

But whether you should take them depends on the strength of the rest of your app, and your economic status (low income, inner city students are given a pass...), and whether you think you can score high (relative to the campuses to which you are applying).

As others have noted, if you are applying to Engineering or physical science programs, Math 2 is typical; most successful applicants will take it and score well.