Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Is it worth getting a 2nd degree?

EugeneMEugeneM Posts: 2Registered User New Member
edited January 2011 in College Search & Selection
Hi,

I've been debating if it's worth going back to college or not. I got a local diploma from HS in 2003 and went to Pace University in NY the following September. I admit, I never liked school but I struggled through it. I wasn't looking forward to college because I assumed it was the same nonsense as HS. Don't get me wrong, I like learning but sometimes you aren't taking anything different or interesting.

The reason I went to Pace was because my father and sisters graduated from the same school. In fact my dad loved that school for so much he end up working there. So, I got a big discount, so saying no to almost free education seemed kind of stupid.

Well, 51/2 yrs. I left with a BFA in Fine Arts. The reason I left late was because some classes weren't available. But I have to admit something, I didn't learn much. I mean, I got a good GPA and I got decent grades. But I hated that school because there wasn't a program I identify with. Closest was a BFA in Fine Arts. But quality wise, I would rate it slightly better than H.S. and content to be seriously lacking.

I actually stopped art after leaving.

I'm trying to get back in to it but it's emotionally disappointing.

I was thinking of going back to college a different one. Because after leaving I haven't found a single job. I applied online only, most career builder, monster, etc etc.

I was thinking of going to
https://www.mercy.edu/academics/school-of-liberal-arts/department-of-music-and-fine-arts/bfa-in-computer-arts-and-design-cart/

This one has computer art.

But would it be kind of silly going for a 2nd bachelors? In well, the same field basically?
First one from Pace University BFA in Fine Arts and then here a BFA in Computer Arts and Design?

Do you think I can transfer credits and just take the 3d classes or do I have to start all over again from scratch?

One reason that I want to go back to college is because I never did a single internship. I applied and interview for 4 and never heard back. And being a full time student and working part time I let the time slip by. So, I just really want to reapply for internships.
Post edited by EugeneM on

Replies to: Is it worth getting a 2nd degree?

• charlieschmcharlieschm Posts: 4,282Registered User Senior Member
    If you want subsidized Federal loans, I believe you are better off working towards a master's instead of a second bachelors. I don't believe the Feds will provide any grants or subsidized loans for a second bachelor's, and I know some colleges will not provide any of their own financial aid for a second bachelors. However, the Feds will provide substantial subsidized student loans for a masters (more per year than for a bachelors) and many grad schools have large budgets to subsidize grad students (particularly if they will become a TA or research assistant).

Unless you want to get a very practical second bachelors (such as a professional degree in health care), I think a masters will look better on a resume long term.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,412Registered User Senior Member
    1) If you just want some particular new skills, you can take classes rather than enrolling for a degree.

2) If you do decide you want a second degree, first find out how much of your previous coursework can apply to that program. You might not have too much work to do.

3) If what you really want is an internship, there is nothing preventing you from contacting organizations where you would like to intern, and setting up projects on your own. What you need at this point is the work experience of an internship, not a grade. If you don't need a paid internship, it should not be impossible to arrange one.
  • NovaLynnxNovaLynnx Posts: 1,328Registered User Senior Member
    I wouldn't do another degree program unless you go for a graduate degree. You can take courses to update your knowledge and skills without pumping out a full 4 years.

It might be a good idea to take a cheap computer arts class at a local community college just to see if you really like the field, even though the education may not be all that wonderful. It seems like you're not entirely sold with the computer arts field, and it really is something you should enjoy doing in order to succeed with it.
  • barronsbarrons Posts: 23,735Registered User Senior Member
    You can get a second degree in just one year (30 credits) at many schools. I think it's a much better credential than just some classes.

Second Bachelor's Degree - Bachelor's Degree Requirements - School of Undergraduate Studies – Programs - UMUC
  • whatasunnydaywhatasunnyday Posts: 261Registered User Junior Member
    No, do as much freelance work (free or paid) as possible to build a portfolio. Learn to use photoshop and code in dreamweaver/php. Be self motivated and teach yourself everything.
  • tb0mb93tb0mb93 Posts: 1,320Registered User Senior Member
    Have you thought about a Master's?
  • mikemacmikemac Posts: 7,374Registered User Senior Member
    I was thinking of going back to college a different one. Because after leaving I haven't found a single job. I applied online only, most career builder, monster, etc etc.
    In great times people get a start by having a college degree and firms are so desperate to hire they are snapped up. In good times it takes some work. And in bad times, like today and the foreseeable future, parts of your letter could be written by tens if not hundreds of thousand college graduates.

I can empathize that your college education was not what you hoped for or deserved. However you are mistaken if you think that having a different degree is going to get you a job. It does in fields like nursing, accounting, etc. but not in most. And if you're thinking of going back largely so that you can get some internships, you can get internships even after you've finished college. And depending on what it is that you want to create, why aren't you spending time now doing it for non-profits and the like in order to build a portfolio? In effect you can create your own internship by volunteering your time and expertise, which I assume you have in some areas already (otherwise why would firms on career builder, etc. have any reason to hire you?)

You also need to ask yourself if the 3D classes are essential to getting the job you now say you want. And if so, is a degree program the only way to get them? Many times you can find classes like this taught at a CC or in Extension courses, and that way you can take just the specific things you need.

I suggest you get the book "What Color is My Parachute?" Its a classic in the field, and using it you'll understand how to learn what criteria is used to hire people doing the work you want to do, as well as how to get advice from those in the field.
  • EugeneMEugeneM Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    Thanks for the replies,

I dunno, I felt like I wasted so much time. Sad part is, I didn't create that much. I got somewhat depressed during and after college I didn't create that much. Sorry if it sound like a help group forum. lol.

I'm trying to get back in to things but I'll be honest, I don't think I'm looking in the right area. I'm also a bit worried I won't find any work. As for 3d artwork, I'm just starting. Here's some pictures of the stuff I made:

EugeneM (Eugene Shui Lun Mak) - Student

Where should I look for internships/jobs in my field? In terms of art related/webdesign/3d graphics?

Many places said college credit for internships? Or they just want college students. Where can i go to look for internships that does not req. that the person be in college?

But I'm worried I'll find nothing, and what do you say when the past 2 yrs after college all you've done is part time min. wage odd end jobs?

All I hear is competition this and that. I mean after 2yrs why is it so hard to find something? I mean I think I only got 2 interviews semi related to my field. That seemed really bad.

Should I look in to another field? (In terms of ZBrush, I'm all self-taught. That's the only thing I'm truly proud of in my educational life. The knowledge I gained by myself.)
  • sentimentGX4sentimentGX4 Posts: 1,685Registered User Senior Member
    My 2 cents:
    1) Applying to jobs online isn't really applying to anything! Most positions get far too many applications and Human Resources will probably never even read your resume. You need to take the initiative and actually go out into the real world to look for work. Try looking in your newspaper or talking to your friends.

2) If you must go back to school, my advice would be to go for a Master's degree and not a Bachelor's. A Master's is one level higher than a Bachelor's so it'll be more competitive in the job market. It's also quicker (most programs only last 2 to 3 years) and you can pick just about any major you want as long as you are willing to make up the pre-req classes.

EDIT: Definitely switch majors or try something new. Art is not a lucrative field.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,412Registered User Senior Member
    The job market is lousy for almost everyone right now. Lots of people with even Master's degrees would be happy to have your minimum wage job. Don't kick yourself about being under employed.
  • susgeeksusgeek Posts: 1,603Registered User Senior Member
    You CAN get subsidized loans for a second bachelor's degree, as long as you haven't reached your lifetime max.

That being said... I am not sure a second bachelor's in computer art is wise.

I think what you need to do is find an internship doing what you want to do, and perhaps take a couple extra courses at a community college to learn the software involved. Perhaps the community college might even have a certificate you could earn with minimal credits.

In this sort of field, as whatasunnyday said, it is your experience and portfolio that matters, NOT your specific degree.

You also need to get off of the computer and walk into businesses you are interested in and meet with the management in person. You might only get part-time to start, but it is a way of building your portfolio.

*hugs*