Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Haverford

CPUscientist3000CPUscientist3000 Posts: 5,443Registered User Senior Member
edited February 2011 in College Search & Selection
I've heard the name mentioned on CC. is it a good school? I got something in the mail from them today, and I was delighted because I heard it was a good school and I did not request information from them.

Any info? Thanks.
Post edited by CPUscientist3000 on

Replies to: Haverford

• thsfan345thsfan345 Posts: 495Registered User Junior Member
    Excellent, small (1,190 students) LAC outside Philly. If you're interested in LACs, it's one of the best.

College mail is BS, however.
  • CPUscientist3000CPUscientist3000 Posts: 5,443Registered User Senior Member
    Not necessarily.

Letters from top schools aren't, they don't send them to everyone.

But thanks for the info..... My cross town high school has more students than that.... Wow.
  • manariusmanarius Posts: 833Registered User Member
    Letters from top schools aren't, they don't send them to everyone.

They send them to a ton of people, many of whom have just about no chance at getting in.

Harvard sends out full 20 page applications.
    I doubt harvard or any of them would send them to C and D students.
  • bonanzabonanza Posts: 1,105Registered User Senior Member
    Letters like that are often based solely on SAT scores--so they could well go out to C and D students who did really well on the SAT's. They can purchase of list of names and addresses from ETS. Without a transcript a college has no idea of what your grades are.
    I agree^
    Also collegeboard has you set up your academic profile to send to schools.

But it's unlikely that a mass of students would receive these letters that don't perform well.
  • bclintonkbclintonk Posts: 6,481Registered User Senior Member
    My D1 is a freshman there. Outstanding academics, one of the highest percentages of its grads going on to get Ph.D.s of any college or university. It's very strong in sciences, but strong in humanities and social sciences as well. My D likes the small, intimate atmosphere in which, a little more than halfway through her freshman year, she already knows a sizable fraction of the students on campus, and is on a first-name basis with a bunch of top professors. From her perspective it's a great location---lovely, leafy, bucolic campus, but conveniently located 20 minutes by train from center city Philadelphia. Students can also take unlimited classes at Haverford's sister school Bryn Mawr, a high-quality women's college located a mile away with a free shuttle running continuously between the two campuses, which effectively doubles the curricular offerings. The two schools ("the Bi-Co") operate a fully integrated course registration system, so when you're registering for classes you can easily mix and match Haverford and Bryn Mawr classes to get the schedule you want. There are approximately 2,000 cross-registrations between the two schools each year, so this isn't just a nominal thing, most students end up taking at least one class on the other campus, and many do a lot more than that. Bi-Co students can also take classes at Swarthmore, another outstanding LAC about 20-25 minutes away by shuttle; logistically that's a little more daunting because of the travel time but many Haverford students do end up taking a class or two at Swat, sometimes more, sometimes just for the experience or sometimes because there's a class (e.g., an advanced linguistics class) or professor not available at Haverford or BMC. And for any class that's not offered within the Haverford-BMC-Swat Tri-Co, students can take the class at Penn at no extra charge; the college will even pay their train fare.

If I recall correctly you're interested in engineering. Haverford also has a 3-2 engineering program with Caltech, 3 years at Haverford and two at Caltech and you come out with degrees from both institutions. Also great study abroad options.
    Thanks!
    And also good recollection! My major depends on the school (computer science versus computer engineering).

I like the 3+2 with caltech, and by then my mother would feel better about me^^ going for away (I live on the east coast) when I'm older. But if I don't get accepted to that program, I'm not sure if I'll be happy.

Also, although it's a good school (congrats on your D) it is extremely small and seems HS-like. I like the city environment (Boston, NYC, NJ) where I can be lost but not completely lost.

If I have a chance I'll check it out, thanks for the information!
  • bclintonkbclintonk Posts: 6,481Registered User Senior Member
    My major depends on the school (computer science versus computer engineering).

I like the 3+2 with caltech, and by then my mother would feel better about me^^ going for away (I live on the east coast) when I'm older. But if I don't get accepted to that program, I'm not sure if I'll be happy.

Well, you'd have a number of options at Haverford even if you don't get into the Caltech 3-2. There's a computer science major, a computer science minor, a math major with a computer science concentration, or a physics major with a computer science concentration. Haverford will also let you put together an independent major, and apparently students have done independent majors in computer engineering in the past.
    The computer science department at Haverford is small, only 3 faculty, but there are 3 more at Bryn Mawr and 5 more at Swat so the resources are available. Plus if there's an advanced computer science or computer engineering not available at these schools, it's probably available at Penn, 20 minutes by train and a 5-10 minute walk away. (Penn is within walking distance of 30th St Station, the main Philadelphia train station).
  • manariusmanarius Posts: 833Registered User Member
    But it's unlikely that a mass of students would receive these letters that don't perform well.

It doesn't matter. The point is that these colleges send the exact same letter to thousands of students based on nothing other than their PSAT scores. They are not extra interested in you, and it says nothing about your ability to get in. It is mass mail and means absolutely nothing.
    Bclintonk- I didn't realize that, thank you! I'll look into it more

Manarius- your input has been noted, but you haven't contributed to my original question. Good day.
  • Malcolm11Malcolm11 Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    Tri-College Consortium. Bryn Mawr, Swarthmore, Haverford. Excellent school, my brother is currently attending. You can also take classes at Swarthmore and Bryn Mawr, as well as UPenn. Kind of neat.
    Thanks^
    Size and location are deal breakers though.
  • collegecarlacollegecarla Posts: 141Registered User Junior Member
    One student from our town applied to Haverford last year and is a freshman there now. He was one of the top students, excelled at multiple sports and really has a lot going for him.
    i see that haverford is really well-respected (congrats to that kid)