Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Tips for getting accepted into the University of Florida? : )

dreamdreamdreamdream Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
I'm a 3.0 GPA student studying hard for the act, working on improving GPA to 3.5/4.
My senior year I'm taking on AP classes! How exciting.
I'm currently a junior at a high school in Illinois.

I've written 10 novels. 2 published. Book blog over 2,000 fans.
(www.xanga.com/jessierosebooks)

I'm in a lot of extra curricular activities. (Grace Notes, Concert Choir, 4 years of private singing lessons, Madrigal choir, student government, student newspaper, photography club, choir 3+years, drama, basketball, swimming, volleyball, snowboarding club, acting classes, lifeguard @ park district, weekend job) :D 200+ Hours Community Service. Teachers love me. I will go under a creative writing major. My passion is my strong point. I love books.

Freshmen and Sophomore GPA: both 3.07s.
Mostly As and Bs. Junior Year 1st Semester: 3.1.

This semester I'm studying really hard and I want a 3.7, at least 3.5GPA.

* Next school year I'm taking AP psychology to help boost my GPA.

I took the act and I got a 22. I'm retaking it, reaching for a 26.

Advice please?
Tips?

If I get a 3.7 this semester and a 25 act can I get into UF?
How can I get $ scholarships?
Post edited by dreamdream on

Replies to: Tips for getting accepted into the University of Florida? : )

• CoolRunningCoolRunning Posts: 329Registered User Member
    You can do better than UF.
  • dreamdreamdreamdream Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    I really like UF. :)
  • jcold9jcold9 Posts: 487Registered User Member
    UF is going to be a reach unless you bring up your GPA and ACT score. Try for as close to a 4.0 UF WEIGHTED (5.0 for AP,IB and 4.5 for honors) and 27 or above.

UF is kinda weird with admissions. My friend in state got in with a 3.5 UF and 1150 while my other friend got denied with a 1360 and 4.4 UF GPA. Weird
  • jasonleb1jasonleb1 Posts: 721Registered User Member
    UF is way overrated anyway. Have you actually visited? I'm sure you'd change your mind quickly.
  • jym626jym626 Posts: 36,296Registered User Senior Member
    Agree UF is a reach, especially if you are OOS.
  • gatorM31gatorM31 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    Looks like jasonleb1 is bitter about the fact that he can't get into UF, as evidenced by his multiple comments regarding its apparently hovel-esque quality.

As a senior at UF, I can tell you that I've had a great time here and I'm glad I decided to stay in-state even though I was accepted at some great Cali schools and even King's College in London.

I was in the IB program in high school and had a 4.3 weighted GPA, 1360 SAT (680V/680Q), and I think I got something around 30 or 31 on the ACT but I can't remember. So, your GPA and ACT score are both a bit low, but you never know.

The acceptance rate for UF is about 40%, so it's not super selective, but not necessarily a sure thing for most people either. Since you're in Illinois I'm not sure if it's any harder for out of state applicants to get in. As for scholarships, you'd have to apply for those yourself since you can't receive Bright Futures without being a Florida resident.

Good luck! Go Gators!
  • josebiwasabijosebiwasabi Posts: 572Registered User Member
    why do you want to go to UF? i don't think your experience at UF would be all that much different than any other typical flagship public.

and yeah, UF is not really that great...
  • dreamdreamdreamdream Posts: 69Registered User Junior Member
    thanks dude. :)
  • gouf78gouf78 Posts: 2,904Registered User Senior Member
    Bring up your grades. Colleges want to see continuous improvement.
    Take the SAT also, not just ACT. You may do better on it. Study for it! Take them more than once.
    Sounds like you have ECs down!
    UF is a fabulous experience. It's great to be in the Gator Nation!
  • SISTOKIDSISTOKID Posts: 401- Member
    Can you run a 4.4 40 yd dash and throw a football 70 yards? Most SEC "universities" are highly overrated academically. I would also spend less time writing books anf more time hitting them, the GPA needs a huge boost. If you are in Illinois i would opt for NIU or UIC. I think even UIUC might be a reach right now, which is incidentally a far better academic option than Florida.