Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What gpa is an 86 average in a 4.0 scale?

Manny95Manny95 Posts: 13Registered User New Member
edited April 2011 in College Search & Selection
If i were to get an 86 average in total of all my grades, what would be my GPA.
Post edited by Manny95 on

Replies to: What gpa is an 86 average in a 4.0 scale?

• SDonCCSDonCC Posts: 2,280Registered User Senior Member
    By most scales, it would be 3.1
  • 3togo3togo Posts: 5,232Registered User Senior Member
    edited April 2011
    to do it correctly you need to convert each courses grade into a A,B, or C grade and then figure out an average ... doing a straight converstion of an overall average can be quite misleading.
  • SDonCCSDonCC Posts: 2,280Registered User Senior Member
    No, you can make the direct correspondence. The scale I was using puts a 95 as a 4.0, a 90 at 3.5 and 85 at 3.0.

So, 86=3.1

While conversion scales can vary, this is the system i've seen used most. It sounds like Manny's school gives grades on a 100%. In this case, an A- is 90-92, A 93-95, A+ 96 and up, and similarly in the other letters.

I think it also depends on how the school would report it on the transcript. Our HS does not report letter grades; only the percentage, so if my child's GPA were 86, I would call it a 3.1. To convert all their grades into letter grades doesn't acknowledge the gradations (sorry for the pun) in our system and would give a misleading number, on its own and within the context of the school for class ranking purposes.

And, how the student falls within their own school rankings is more important than what the GPA itself is for most college admissions. This is why I paid no attention to what people said on CC about how good or bad someone's GPA was, because I knew that at our school, a 3.5 for example, means something entirely different than it does at someone else's school. At some schools, a 3.5 puts a student only in the top 50%, while at others, it's only the top 10% of students who can achieve this grade.
  • xiggixiggi Posts: 23,092Registered User Senior Member
    No, you can make the direct correspondence. The scale I was using puts a 95 as a 4.0, a 90 at 3.5 and 85 at 3.0.

So, 86=3.1

That is plain silly. You have to go class by class and control with your own school scale.