Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Thinking about going to college in England

GoldminevelvetGoldminevelvet Posts: 3Registered User New Member
I'm from Chicago and I currently go to William Rainey Harper College. I currently have a 2.00, not the best I know but I am planning on taking summer classes to bump it up to hopefully a 3.00 if possible. I took AP classes in high school, scored a 3 on most of them (again not the best), and my GPA in high school was 3.00+.

I want to go in college in England, close enough to France that I can go visit at least on weekends, different cultures, good education. I looked into London but from what I've seen its expensive, not student friendly,and people tend to be cold.

Any direction to universities that are in a medium sized city(not too big like London but not a really small town), student friendly cities(good transportation, things to do on weekends), has a good amount of culture/diversity and that I could apply to with my grades would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Post edited by Goldminevelvet on

Replies to: Thinking about going to college in England

• RMLRML Posts: 5,808Registered User Senior Member
    Exeter, but I don't think your grades are good enough.

With your stats, you can look into Plymouth and Brighton.
    School of Computing, Engineering and Mathematics | University of Brighton
    The University of Plymouth - the enterprise university

Bradford, De Montfort and Coventry universities are also quite nice.
  • JackUKJackUK Posts: 215Registered User Junior Member
    Check out the Univ. of Southhampton or Portsmouth. Brighton is a fun place also.
  • artgirl19artgirl19 Posts: 14Registered User New Member
    It is a misnomer that people in London are cold, but you are right that it is expensive and doesn't necessarily offer a classic student experience.

England (and the rest of the UK) is tiny - you can access France easily from anywhere (and the rest of Europe). I would recommend looking at big cities known for having great student life and resources like Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds and focusing on the 'second' universities in these places. The university named 'University of _____ ' usually requires high stats to get in, but there are other, newer schools in these cities such as Birmingham City University, Manchester Met and Leeds Metropolitan. I wouldn't know how exactly how your stats would compare for those, but perhaps worth a look?

In smaller cities, there is Oxford Brookes in Oxford, Anglia Ruskin in Cambridge - obviously great student cities. I second Brighton - pretty town on the beach with loads to do and Bradford - an industrial city but a fun student place. Also look at Bath Spa and Bristol UWE.
  • GoldminevelvetGoldminevelvet Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Thank you for your responses,I sent emails to all of the schools that were listed.