Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Colleges for a 2.8 gpa

PRHeroPRHero Posts: 2Registered User New Member
edited September 2011 in College Search & Selection
I am a senior and I currently have a 2.8 gpa and was wondering what colleges would possibly accept me. I am a hispanic male living in New York with a sister in her freshman year of college, and a mother who is only a high school graduate. My SAT grade was a 1740 (1140 out of 1600), I am retaking this test October 1st. My ACT grade was a 25.

In total (Junior and Senior year), I have taken 6 AP classes and 1 college level class. I have been a varsity wrestler for 4 years, I am a member of model congress, the garden club, I began writing for a small newspaper in my city, I might become the head of the yearbook committee this year, and I am also attempting to begin a DECA organization in my school (I hope to join it in the college I eventually attend).

I have worked at a beach club as a cook two summers ago, and have worked as a camp counselor this past summer.

Are there any good, respectable colleges that would accept me? Community College is NOT an option.
Post edited by PRHero on

Replies to: Colleges for a 2.8 gpa

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 34,807Registered User Senior Member
    Have you checked the various SUNY schools?

Also, why is community college not an option?
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 60,042Registered User Senior Member
    How much is your budget?

That will likely determine where you should apply.
  • newuser2011newuser2011 Posts: 130Registered User Junior Member
    Syracuse maybe?
  • LennonLennon Posts: 75Registered User Junior Member
    Check out the 3.0 Student thread in the parents forum--there are lots of schools mentioned there that might fit your stats. If you are open to leaving NY, check out Roanoke in VA and U of Scranton in Pa, and then look for similar colleges as far as selectivity.
  • bruno123bruno123 Posts: 1,390Registered User Senior Member
    Are there any good, respectable colleges that would accept me? Community College is NOT an option.

Why not ? It may be an interesting option and you can always transfer to a state university later on. Transferring with good grades from a respectable CC may be easier than being admitted into a respectable university as a freshman with your stats.
  • beyphybeyphy Posts: 2,120Registered User Senior Member
    Many students transfer to fine universities after working hard in community college. I'm not exactly sure where you get the audacity to claim that it isn't an option.

i'd also recommend looking toward your local state school system.
  • quakerstakequakerstake Posts: 616Registered User Member
    You have options other than CCs. Being a URM doesn't hurt. It sounds like with your background, many schools would believe you can make a contribution to their community.

Your SATs are in range for many of the SUNYs.

Albany, for example. Look at schools' common data sets.
    http://www.albany.edu/ir/cds/cds_2010_11/freshman.htm

New Paltz, for example. Here's a link to New Paltz: http://www.newpaltz.edu/oir/cds_c.pdf

Your GPA is low but it's not impossible. 12% of enrolled students at New Paltz had under 3.0 high school GPAs. More than 12.5% at Albany.

If you don't need to stay in New York and want a larger school, maybe look at Arizona State, Kansas, WVU, Ohio U, Duquesne, DePaul.

You might want to try a school with rolling admissions to see where you stand and maybe get a quick first acceptance.
  • teachandmomteachandmom Posts: 1,220Registered User Senior Member
    There are tons of schools that would accept you. They won't be top tier schools, but plenty of tier 2 schools are respectable, graduate kids who get jobs and have careers, and offer very good educational experiences. Some of those schools may also be generous with financial aid. Many of those schools also offer educational support in the form of free tutoring, writing centers, etc, to help the student who hasn't already published their own research or novel! Even with the internet, I still recommend picking up a book like Peterson's Guide to 4 year colleges, or a similar one, and look up schools either by location or major. The descriptions will help you find some possibilities. Make a list. Then, go online and look at those websites. Read about applying, student profiles, data, etc. You'll find more schools than you even want to apply to! Good luck.
    Unless the parents will pay for wherever this student will go, the bigger problem that most kids face with modest stats is affording various choices. These kids don't get merit money, they don't get favorable FA packages from most schools, and they don't get accepted to most the schools that meet need.
  • northeastmomnortheastmom Posts: 12,379Registered User Senior Member
    I would listen to teachandmom. When you say that you live in NY, is that the state of NY or NYC? If it is NYC, I would first investigate the CUNYs and see if you have a chance there. I honestly am not at all familiar with their admissions process.
  • happy1happy1 Posts: 2,960Registered User Senior Member
    If you want to stay in the NYC area look at some Long Island schools like Hofstra, Adelphi, Long Island University or maybe St. John's in Queens, Wagner in Staten Island, Iona in Westchester. You need to check out their accepted student profiles, but they may be good options. Maybe some of the CUNY schools as well but I'm not very familiar with those.
  • andrew3221andrew3221 Posts: 35Registered User Junior Member
    saying poor and abused like most hispanics are here might help.You all seem to have a sad story to say for some reason.
    Since the student is a NY resident, if he's lowish income, he should look at the SUNYs/CUNYs because TAP and Pell might make those schools very affordable for him with a small student loan and some work-study.

PR...make sure your mom submits FAFSA as soon as she can after Jan 1....the best aid goes to the early filers.
  • quakerstakequakerstake Posts: 616Registered User Member
    For people in California, CC is an option for transfer to the UCs. In Georgia, Gainesville College is used as a back door to UGA. In Florida, Santa Fe College is used to get into U. of Fla. In many other states, it's not really as good an option for more selective schools.

In the Northeast, the Penn State satellite campuses offer transfer to University Park after 2 years so that's an option. (Altoona is closest to State College, PA.)