Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Most Libertarian University?

j6ma9lj6ma9l Posts: 121Registered User Junior Member
edited August 2012 in College Search & Selection
I am just curious which school you think is the most libertarian?
I know there are a lot of idiot conspiracy theorists (the ones who attribute every major event to government perpetrators not implying all conspiracy theorists are dumb)
but well-informed libertarians seem to outnumber the duller ones

I am pretty curious about this
Post edited by j6ma9l on

Replies to: Most Libertarian University?

• snarlatronsnarlatron Posts: 658Registered User Member
    Hillsdale College in MI is called predominantly conservative by some and libertarian by others.
  • andrewt787andrewt787 Posts: 377Registered User Member
    Austin, TX has a large number of libertarians at UT Austin.
  • j6ma9lj6ma9l Posts: 121Registered User Junior Member
    well yeah you would expect that with Alex Jones living there and such haha
    Santa Cruz was so liberal that only about 1/20 was libertarian
    in LA it was like 1/15 ppl
    Denver like 1/7
    most libertarian I have ever seen probably Austin Las Vegas, Philadelphia or Minneapolis
    have a weird theory that psychedelic drug use corresponds to libertarianism lol
  • whenhenwhenhen Posts: 4,247Registered User Senior Member
    In terms of actual universities, and not colleges, I've read that the University of Wyoming student body tends to be quite libertarian. However, a friend goes there and tells me many of the students are fairly socially conservative (or at least relative to California standards), so I'm not sure how accurate that information is.
  • jph093jph093 Posts: 128Registered User Junior Member
    University of Somalia?
    It's a libertarian's paradise! Hardly any government at all!

Sorry, had to make the joke. But in all seriousness I doubt you'll find a school that could be stereotyped as libertarian minded. You will definitely find more libertarians at conservative /christian colleges. Maybe check out Vanderbilt, Clemson, GA tech, Wake Forest, maybe even Purdue? Those are some great, conservative-leaning schools.
  • Davidabb84Davidabb84 Posts: 1,355- Senior Member
    University of Somalia?
    It's a libertarian's paradise! Hardly any government at all!

Mogadishu University is actually considered one of the top 40 colleges in Africa, and is located within the zone of Transitional Government control which makes it relatively safe.

Also, I know it's a joke, but I always resent the comparison. Somalia's situation was caused by a sudden collapse of a totalitarian government - not a gradual devolution of powers to local governments and the private sector.

Anyway, I did some research. Apparently George Mason University has a whole bunch of the top libertarian professors on its faculty, and they teach Austrian (libertarian) politics as opposed to the prevailing Neoclassical school of thought. These things indicate a more libertarian environment.

Libertarianism is growing popular on college campuses nationwide. Search for Young Libertarian groups on campuses.
  • CollegeXC1993CollegeXC1993 Posts: 226Registered User Junior Member
    Seconding George Mason (the guy that operates Cafe Hayek and EconLog teaches there) and you might want to check out UChicago. It still probably won't have the number you might be looking for, but there econ dept and general student atmosphere probably supports a fair number of libertarians.
  • timetodecide12timetodecide12 Posts: 708Registered User Member
    MIT, Chicago, Dartmouth, Vanderbilt, UT-Austin