Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

death penalty

parkemuthparkemuth Posts: 104- Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Search & Selection
Should a school like Emory, which cheats on its statistics be given an automatic suspension for any rankings? If universities level sanctions for athletics recruiting violations why not for cheating . Automatic 20 drop on US News? It seems a slap on the wrist will not encourage others to quit what is increasingly happening to schools under intense pressure to move up.
Post edited by parkemuth on

Replies to: death penalty

• ZombieDanteZombieDante Posts: 3,895Registered User Senior Member
    That was not a good title choice for this thread....

To answer your question, I don't think so. They were the ones who found out, they were the ones who announced it, and they are the ones who are correcting it.
  • coureurcoureur Posts: 11,386Registered User Senior Member
    Who would enforce this "death penalty?" There is no regulatory body that oversees the rankings business.
  • vincehvinceh Posts: 2,291Registered User Senior Member
    The death penalty will occur when readers finally accept the fact that like any subjective assessment, rankings are rife with biases and manipulation. Don't blame the rankings because you're a sucker.
  • steellord321steellord321 Posts: 349Registered User Junior Member
    I wouldn't care either way. The rankings are a pretty big joke when you consider the methodology encourages a lot of them to send out apps to people they know have no chance of getting in, just to lower admit rate. Way too much emphasis on entering freshman stats, rather than actual quality of the education and output data, like employment and grad school admits.
  • barrk123barrk123 Posts: 3,461Registered User Senior Member
  • parkemuthparkemuth Posts: 104- Junior Member
    To the who cares question I would have to say the great majority of people in the world. If you don't believe me let me try a thought experiment.

In last month's Harvard Business Review there is a short piece on the best programs in the country for entrepreneurship. The one singled out for praise is University of Miami.(Not available on-line, only on paper)

So now we have the word of an expert of Harvard. Now a student applies to Dartmouth and U Miami and gets into both. He or she is interested in entrepreneurship. If you were this he or she would you really go to Miami? Harvard says it is the best, not some magazine. I have asked this question to over 100 students in the last month. Not a one has said Miami.
    Who cares? Just about everybody. We do not approach this process rationally. Or just about anything else either for that matter.
  • noimaginationnoimagination Posts: 7,021Registered User Senior Member
    So now we have the word of an expert of Harvard. Now a student applies to Dartmouth and U Miami and gets into both. He or she is interested in entrepreneurship. If you were this he or she would you really go to Miami? Harvard says it is the best, not some magazine. I have asked this question to over 100 students in the last month. Not a one has said Miami.
    What do you mean, "Harvard says it is the best" ? What was the basis for this ranking?
    ZombeDante,

The title refers to what the NCAA should have done to Penn State. It is what they did to Texas A&m a while back for recruiting violations Apparently child rape does not quite rise to that level.
    As for your comments, I have worked in PR for a university. No University 'voluntarily' gives out this information. Someone gave them a heads up and they went out first before it hit the press. This is the way the world works.

Secondly, because they admitted they cheated for many years we should say all is forgiven? Is that the way our legal system works? Even at my old school, which has an honor system, conscientious retraction does not mean the student still receives the grade they originally received. They get an F.

I am not sure I follow your logic on this.
    If I stole money from someone and years later said I did it does this mean I don't have to worry about paying the person back? Nice deal if you are a criminal. Sorry, but I am irked that schools get away with things like this. It will encourage more schools to follow the lead in fudging numbers as long as people say no harm no foul. (switching sports metaphors).
    I have been told, I think, that I cannot reprint things on this site. It is a column by an 'expert' at Harvard. you would have to contact him.
  • cltdadcltdad Posts: 937Registered User Member
    The death penalty was given to SMU, not Texas A&M.
  • barrk123barrk123 Posts: 3,461Registered User Senior Member
    1st it was SMU
    2nd giving penn state the death penalty was not appropriate action
    the death penalty for Penn State is a debatable issue I think. What is your defense?

i apologize for mixing up schools.

As an aside, I competed as captain of division I athletic team and learned a great deal of what I now know about life from the experience.We were ranked as one of top 20 teams in the US so I know about competitive athletics. Please do not assume that I am against athletics. The opportunities granted to me changed my life.
    When I get home tonight I will get the name of the writer and the column from Harvard Business Review and post it here.
    Wikipedia info on author of the Harvard article.. He is a nationally known author and one of he visionaries in the field of entrepreneurship.

Carl J. Schramm is an American economist, entrepreneur, and former President and CEO of the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, a private philanthropic foundation. The Economist has named Schramm the "evangelist of entrepreneurship".
  • noimaginationnoimagination Posts: 7,021Registered User Senior Member
    ^ You miss my point...the only thing that matters when looking at a ranking is the methodology used to construct it...