Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Looking for college similar to Brandeis University

devi28devi28 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited October 2012 in College Search & Selection
Hi! My parents really want me to go to Brandeis University, mostly because it's a good school and a large percentage of their students get into med school after. But I'm not a big fan of the location (Waltham, MA), the size, or the campus. I've been trying to find schools similar to Brandeis (same SAT/GPA requirements, same good rep), but a bit bigger (I'd prefer a medium-large school), and closer to/in a city or in a more exciting town. And I wouldn't want to be more than four hours away from Boston.

Any suggestions? Thank you!
Post edited by devi28 on

Replies to: Looking for college similar to Brandeis University

• cltdadcltdad Posts: 937Registered User Member
    Tufts is a bit more selective, but otherwise meets your criteria. Similarly, Emory is a bit more selective and further away (but within your 4 hour criteria if you mean by air. ;-)
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Posts: 8,449Super Moderator Senior Member
    Boston College and Northeastern also come to mind. The latter is well-known for its co-op program that would undoubtedly be great for a pre-med. Boston U is good if you're comfortable with a larger university; its financial aid isn't the best, but it's pretty generous with merit aid to NMF/NAFs and Boston residents.

I've run into lots of people in my field who went to Brandeis for undergrad. All of them were very happy with it and have done very well for themselves. A terribly underrated school, in my opinion.
  • maxwell123maxwell123 Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    if you're limiting yourself to 4 hours from boston and a big city, you're limiting yourself to boston and new york.
    what about nyu?
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 2,724Registered User Senior Member
    B.U., B.C., Northeastern, NYU, Fordham, Providence(?)
    In other cities within 250 miles of Boston: RPI, Union, UVM, Trinity, Clark, Holy Cross. These are not all similar in atmosphere to Brandeis, e.g. some are Catholic, others are engineering/science oriented but I included them just in case...
  • bluenotebook2bluenotebook2 Posts: 752Registered User Member
    i hear there's that slacker school called harvahd or something that's in MA. There's no way in hell I'm getting in, but you should def!

hahaha seriously though, have you considered BU? It's med program is in the top 20s based on US world and news report, I think, and it fits your criteria
  • barrk123barrk123 Posts: 3,445Registered User Senior Member
    Boston University has a lot of grade deflation however.
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Posts: 8,449Super Moderator Senior Member
    barrk123 wrote:
    Boston University has a lot of grade deflation however.
    I don't know that I would call Boston U "deflated." Any university with an average GPA over 3.00 and that awards 80% of its grades in the A/B range does not deserve that moniker. What is probably true, however, is that BU is a little less grade inflated than some of its peers.

hahaha seriously though, have you considered BU? It's med program is in the top 20s based on US world and news report, I think, and it fits your criteria
    More importantly, and something I forgot to mention earlier, BU has a very reputable 7 year BA/MD program. If you're lucky enough to be admitted, you only need to maintain a 3.2 GPA to be guaranteed a spot in medical school.

Seven-Year Liberal Arts/Medical Education Program » Academics | Boston University
  • devi28devi28 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    Thanks for the suggestions! I actually have been looking at BU, BC, NYU, and NU, so it's nice to see I'm on the right track. But I hadn't thought of Fordham much before so I looked it up and I decided to apply there, so thank you :)
  • 2ndtimermom2ndtimermom Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    Don't rule out Brandeis altogether! My d1 is now a junior pre-med and because it is the smallest undergrad research university in the u.s. she has had an amazing lab job for two years. She has her own keys,tools and project this year. So many of her friends were Ivy rejects and swore they would transfer after freshman year but all stayed because of the incredible friends,professors and research opportunities. My d started as a chem major but is now a neuro/bio major. Look at where they place their premeds- but more importantly look at how happy the kids are. They were ranked in the top of a survey on happiest college students- and if you are a serious student- you rarely leave campus anyway!