Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Best Merit scholarship colleges????

Dettigers1Dettigers1 Posts: 60Registered User Junior Member
edited October 2012 in College Search & Selection
I have a 3.5 gpa and 26 act what colleges that are decent in quality out of michigan (out of state) give great merit scholarships? Thanks!
Post edited by Dettigers1 on

Replies to: Best Merit scholarship colleges????

• tk21769tk21769 Posts: 7,570Registered User Senior Member
    So you are a Michigan resident, and you are looking for colleges (including out of state public schools) that give large merit scholarships? What net price can your family afford?

The University of Alabama gets many mentions in similar threads. Unfortunately, your ACT is a point too low for their smallest OOS merit scholarship (the "Capstone").
    Out-of-State Scholarships - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama

There may not be enough time left for you to retake the ACT in hopes of raising it enough to get the money you need. You'd need a 32-36 ACT (a huge improvement) to qualify for full OOS tuition at Alabama by December 1.

Centre College is a small, private LAC that awards merit scholarships to a high percentage of incoming students. However, your stats are a little below their averages, so even if you did get merit aid at all, presumably it would be well below their average amount (~$15K against total costs of ~$44K).

There may be some directional state universities or less selective private LACs that offer enough merit aid for a student with your stats to meet your budget. But again, what's your budget, and what kind of school are you looking for (in terms of size, location, etc.)?
  • CreeklandCreekland Posts: 3,031Registered User Senior Member
    I don't know that it would be a "great merit" award, but York College of PA gives merit for your scores.

I don't know that there will be many offering "great" merit for a 26 and 3.5 to be honest. Generally you'd want a 30+ for that.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,375Registered User Senior Member
    There are several threads on guaranteed merit-based scholarships in the financial aid forum. Go to that forum, and scroll down to find them.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 36,764Registered User Senior Member
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/financial-aid-scholarships/1348012-automatic-full-tuition-full-ride-scholarships.html

But Michigan has some fine state schools. Are they unaffordable even at in-state prices and financial aid?
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 2,725Registered User Senior Member
    The Kiplinger table is useful for showing what schools are the best for merit aid. From there you need to look at each school's stats to see if you are good enough for merit aid.
    Best Values in Private Colleges, 2011-12
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,357Registered User Senior Member
    I'm not sure that you're asking the right question. Yes, there are schools that are known for giving lots of merit, but that fact doesn't do you any good if your stats aren't "merit worthy".

Schools that give lots of merit awards generally only give those awards to some/all of the top 25% of applicants. They don't typically give merit awards (or much) to the "average" student at the school.

You might want to start a new thread with a title with something like:

3.5 GPA, 26 ACT need tuition merit awards .....

.(try to include a mention of how much merit you need, such as full tuition or half tuiton.)

In the meantime, look at Truman State, Mississippi State.

What is your situation? How much will your family pay each year? We need to know that so that we can recommend schools that will give you enough merit. For instance, if your family will pay about $10k-$15k per year, then that means you need a full tuition scholarship so that your parents' money can pay for room, board, books, fees, etc.
  • Dettigers1Dettigers1 Posts: 60Registered User Junior Member
    Sorry I didn't look at other threads. Yes there are many good universities in Michigan I am just exploring my options out of state. My situation is my parents make 90k combined but they are only looking to spend under 15000 for room and board. Thanks!
  • RTRMom2RTRMom2 Posts: 564Registered User Member
    You may want to look at Grand Valley or Saginaw Valley. Great schools for a lower cost in Michigan.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,357Registered User Senior Member
    My situation is my parents make 90k combined but they are only looking to spend under 15000 for room and board. Thanks!

Is this what they are saying or are you estimating this? If this is your estimate, then please ask them how much they'll pay.

However, if your parents will pay $15k, and you can contribute a $5k student loan, then you might find a school that will work for you. Some OOS publics do not charge much for OOS students. Maybe someone can list some that have VERY low OOS costs. I think some of the Dakota schools have low OOS tuition.
  • lammb66lammb66 Posts: 449Registered User Member
    My DD goes to Slippery Rock University in PA - if you choose the typical dorms and keep a 3.0 GPA their cost is $18000 per year, not to far above what your parents are willing to pay -you may also be able to get other financial aid but not sure. She loves this school - so underrated and quite nice.
  • tk21769tk21769 Posts: 7,570Registered User Senior Member
    The bottom line is that you need colleges with net costs of about $25K or less (after $15K from your parents and no more than ~$10K in "self help").

Among OOS public schools, consider Truman State (~$20K OOS) or U Minnesota Morris (~$20K OOS). Among small private LACs, consider some of the "Colleges That Change Lives" (Colleges That Change Lives | Changing Lives. One Student at a Time.), but the challenge will be to find one that covers most of your need. Loyola University Maryland is a "regional university" with good need-based aid, where your stats are about average.

Michigan State costs about $21K (in state). Your stats are just about average for Michigan State.
  • Dettigers1Dettigers1 Posts: 60Registered User Junior Member
    Thank you guys, I will more than likely stay in state. I'm just trying to find the right balance between cost and quality right now. I appreciate the comments.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 36,764Registered User Senior Member
    Well, if you really need cheap, Prairie View A&M offers a full ride if you have a 3.5 GPA and 26 ACT.
    University Scholarships