Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

What majors should I look into and/or which schools?

BuranriBuranri Posts: 157Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Search & Selection
I know I'm going to be majoring in Percussion Performance, so I need a school with a good music program. However, I'm planning on doing a double major as well, for something that has better job opportunities past graduation. I think I want to work in something physics related - I'm taking AP Physics this year, and it's one of the very few classes I've taken that I truly enjoy, apart from music classes. I'm not sure if I'm going to do engineering or a separate degree, since I'm really not sure what the options are.

Therefore, I have a two part question. First! What types of majors should I look at that involve physics? Should I go for engineering (aerospace engineering interests me, but I don't know about combining that with music) or should I look into a different physics related major?

And second, which other schools should I be looking at? Here's my stats and what I'm looking for.

I have a 3.8 GPA so far. Nothing really in the way of academic EC's, although a lot of music. Physics is the only AP class I'll graduate with. I'm looking at a large state university - I like the diversity of options, mostly. The big issue, however, is that I can't afford 90% of the big state universities, and from what I've heard most don't give merit aid.

My current list is CU-Boulder (reach financially), Colorado State (tiny bit of a reach financially), and University of South Carolina (safety financially if I get into the marching band). I'm looking to add one or two more schools, especially in the Midwest area. I'm not sure, however, what schools I should be looking into for music, science, and lots of aid. Suggestions?
Post edited by Buranri on

Replies to: What majors should I look into and/or which schools?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 36,960Registered User Senior Member
    The "physics related majors" are physics, astronomy/astrophysics, geology/geophysics, and various types of engineering. Math is also related.

Note that music performance majors tend to have a lot of course requirements and time commitments. Engineering is similar in this respect (with the sciences only somewhat less so), so it may be difficult to fit a double major in.

Do you have suitable in-state public universities with low enough in-state costs of attendance? What kind of price limit are you looking at?
  • M's MomM's Mom Posts: 4,562Registered User Senior Member
    You may want to post this in the forum for music majors. I think you'll get better feedback there.

By the way, most engineers start out in engineering in their freshman year and then either continue or change majors because it's hard to complete an engineering degree in 4 years otherwise, especially if they are trying to double major.
  • BuranriBuranri Posts: 157Registered User Junior Member
    Yeah, I know it's not the ideal two subject to major in. I'm planning on having to do 5 years, which is why I'm looking for cheap schools.

I'm from Washington. However, all of our schools except for one (WSU) get out in mid-June, whereas I need a school that gets out May. I might apply to WSU, but it's really not what I'm looking for in a school.

I don't have a specific number, as far as I know there's no exact point where we can't pay any more. However, cheaper is better due to my plans for majors.

I have posted in the music forum, however I'm not really looking for conservatories, nor am I looking to go to a top-tier music program, so a lot of the advice is less applicable.
  • Crimsonstained7Crimsonstained7 Posts: 1,183Registered User Senior Member
    Biophysics is a growing field. There are a lot of jobs that involve physics. I live in SC, and let me say one thing. You need to visit before you decide on going there. I personally hate the campus. I would have thought about being in the Honors college there, but I despised the campus. It's really urban, and not that attractive. That applies to all schools, but I know quite a few people who don't like USC.
  • noimaginationnoimagination Posts: 7,016Registered User Senior Member
    I'm from Washington. However, all of our schools except for one (WSU) get out in mid-June, whereas I need a school that gets out May. I might apply to WSU, but it's really not what I'm looking for in a school.
    I guess you need to evaluate whether getting out of classes in May is important enough to determine your college choice.

Do you need to major in music, or would you consider majoring in engineering but joining a marching band or other campus ensemble and/or minoring in music?

Regardless, check out the following WUE schools:
    Boise State, U Alaska, U Idaho, U North Dakota, Utah State

If you have good test scores you might also look into U Minnesota.

Also, try asking about this on the music majors subforum.
  • scmom12scmom12 Posts: 1,565Registered User Senior Member
    My daughter is at U of SC and in honors college and loves it....but Crimson is right that you should try to visit. Does get out in early May (last possible exam May 8 this year). Daughter lives on Horseshoe which is beautiful. Marching band program is on the rise there and lots of music people have posted on University of South Carolina forum so might want to ask some questions there.
    I'm definitely planning on visiting the campus, due to auditions. Probably sometime in February.

Need to major in music? Technically, no. It's less of something I plan on a career in and more of something I'm just very passionate about. I'd like to start out going for a double major, and then see if I need to switch to a music minor later on.

I have fairly good scores. 1960 SAT, 1410 w/o writing, 3.8 GPA.
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 2,726Registered User Senior Member
    I'll look at those. Thanks!
    Yeah, I personally hate USC's campus, other's are fine with it, but it's definitely an acquired taste. If you happen to meet someone in the marching band who's name is Moses, he's a boss. He plays like every instrument, and I went to the same school as him.
    What don't you like about it? I'm not really sure what you mean by urban.
  • barrk123barrk123 Posts: 3,460Registered User Senior Member
    Urban: In/near a city
    For those of you familiar with it, would University of Washington be considered urban?
    Not urban in that it's in the city. Urban just that the buildings are in a style that blends in with the city, rather than having interesting architecture. Plus there is very little green. Plus Columbia is "the armpit of South Carolina."