Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

I got accepted to the following schools. Which would you choose?

deviantally12deviantally12 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Search & Selection
Drexel University (good co-op program, most expensive)
Depaul University (instate, law school)
Michigan State University (big ten, decent engineering)
California Polytechnic State University - SLO (engineering school, super cheap for OOS)
University of Illinois at Chicago (good engineering, pre-med, instate)

I live in Illinois so UIC would be the cheapest option. However neither the size or location is important to me. Money is not a huge issue for me, however Drexel's tuition is pushing 60k doesnt seem worth it since its not an Ivy. As far as major choice, I am considering Mechanical Engineering and Biology, but am not sure which I want to do.
I am wondering which school would give me the best education for the right price (which makes the most sense to go to).
Post edited by deviantally12 on

Replies to: I got accepted to the following schools. Which would you choose?

• deviantally12deviantally12 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    I didn't even apply nor did i consider applying lol. as much as i would like to go to oxford, it wasnt a realistic school for me since I didnt have the best of grades/ACT in HS.
  • deviantally12deviantally12 Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    bump bump bump
  • Andrew719Andrew719 Posts: 59Registered User Junior Member
    Don't do what others would do, but do what YOU want to do for yourself. Think about each school and decide whether or not you can picture yourself there. Also take a look at what activities/sports they have that might interest you. And make sure you try and visit as many as you can!
  • HaystackHaystack Posts: 1,576Registered User Senior Member
    When in doubt, I suggest choosing a state flagship or flagship type school. They generally offer strong pograms across the board, wide range of classes, residential campus and school spirit, and tons of things to be involved with. They also tend to have strong career service centers with vast alumni networks. They are generally perceived to be strong schools by just about everyone, anywhere.

I would choose MSU.
  • KrliliesKrlilies Posts: 2,084Registered User Senior Member
    Make sure you really like the major you were accepted at Cal Poly SLO. It's quite challenging to switch majors. I believe your freshman classes for your first quarter at SLO is predetermined by your major.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 43,855Registered User Senior Member
    Note that many other schools have optional co-op programs.

Majoring in biology is not required to do pre-med.

How much do the cost differences matter to you? If you do go to medical school, realize that it is expensive, so saving money and minimizing debt may be more important in that case.
  • exstudentexstudent Posts: 172Registered User Junior Member
    I like MSU best of the schools you've listed. Better than the others IMHO.
  • RickfoopRickfoop Posts: 111Registered User Junior Member
    I would definitely choose SLO, as my brother goes there and he loves it. Plus, you can't beat California weather.
  • momo1616momo1616 Posts: 185Registered User Junior Member
    Hey, I have a question. When did you apply & when did you hear back your of your acceptances?

Also, does Drexel give out a lot of scholarships?
  • SinkOrSwim123SinkOrSwim123 Posts: 235Registered User Junior Member
    choose where u'd be happiest is most important, since then u'd be excelling to the best of ur potential.
  • hannahbanana5hannahbanana5 Posts: 38Registered User Junior Member
    Cal Poly!!!:)
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Posts: 23,511Super Moderator Senior Member
    This is remarkable! Especially since Cal Poly doesn't notify students of admission until December, and that's for early decision. Your Application & Deadlines - Admissions - Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo
  • KrliliesKrlilies Posts: 2,084Registered User Senior Member
    lol. You're right Erin's Dad. Nice catch. I think OP forgot to start his sentence with If as in "If I got accepted to the following schools, which would you choose?"
  • abbylouiseabbylouise Posts: 30Registered User Junior Member
    Cal Poly SLO! I know several people who are going there, and absolutely love it! The engineering program I believe is one of the best in California, and ranks with the entire nation too. and it's affordable. Plus, California is the best place on the west coast, and it's the most laid back place and you'll love living here. It's not a raving party school (if you're looking for that haha) but everyone always talks about how much there is to do on campus and how fun it is. Also San Luis Obispo is a beautiful area and there's a ton to do in the area :)
  • ExcavalierExcavalier Posts: 530Registered User Member
    Cal Poly if you like Cali weather which everybody likes.

If for some reason that's an option then go to Illinois.

Drexel is wayyyyyyyy too expensive.