Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

CollegeChances Please HELP NEED ADVICE!

Dionram28Dionram28 Posts: 17Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Search & Selection
Ok, so I am a senior in a specialized High School in NYC, Bronx Science and I have a 3.3 average, 1800 SAT, 28 ACT, several Extracirriculurs, VP of one club, and the bad news....5 suspensions, one Superintendent. 4 of them were for theft, however, all were accusations and could not be proved adequatley. I was never caught stealing, just accused, and somehow, all of my statements, were twisted, and used against me. One suspension was for posession of alcohol in school, however, the school has a video of me at my locker for several minutes, however, they have no proof whatsoever that I had alcohol in my locker, however, they did charge this girl who brought the can to school with posession, since she admitted to brining it to school. Anyways, I am trying to become an engineer, an electrical/mechanical engineer to be exact, and I am applying to schools such as Stony Brook, Binghamton, SUNY Albany, Polytech-NYU, Rochester Institute of Technology, NYIT, Syracuse, and Hofstra. The school i really wish to attend is either NYIT or Poly. My question is, how badly will these suspensions impact my college app.
Thank You.
Post edited by Dionram28 on

Replies to: CollegeChances Please HELP NEED ADVICE!

• WordworkerWordworker Posts: 868Registered User Member
    You need adult professional help. Yesterday!

I don't know what organizations exist in NY to represent students charged with school offenses. Is there some sort of student rights group? Do you qualify for Community Legal Services help? If your statements have been twisted and used against you, then you shouldn't be trying to do this alone.

I think of Bronx Science as an academic powerhouse with serious, motivated overachievers. Five suspensions from a school like this certainly will make your application unforgettable, and not in a way you want. Please see if there's anything you can do, even retroactively.
  • MommaJMommaJ Posts: 4,680Registered User Senior Member
    The first thing you need to do is to accept responsibility for your actions. I don't believe you were somehow framed five times, and no one else will either. Your applications will have to include a discussion of how you regret your actions, how you have learned from your mistakes, and how you plan to comport yourself impeccably in the future. Hopefully your guidance counselor in his/her recommendation will be able to offer some assurance that all those things are true. Good luck to you.
  • hesterstarhesterstar Posts: 24Registered User New Member
    With your history of misconduct, I doubt you'd be able to get into those schools right now. Your scores/grades aren't ideal either (but not terrible). I don't know what your demographic is or what sort of things you do outside of school (other than drink and possibly steal...), so those may or may not help you. Obviously if you had a very difficult upbringing, admissions might sympathize.

I suggest attending community college - for academic and personal reasons. From the description you've provided, you don't seem ready for college. And schools look for mature and determined students. I think you need a place where you can adjust to the workload and commit yourself to school, modify your behavior, find your niche, solve any looming issues, and boost up your academics. Then apply as a transfer to schools. I think colleges will really notice if you improve substantially in character and in grades at community college.

And community college isn't a step down at all - I go to one now. It's a great way to fulfill all those boring general ed requirements so you can study what you really want at a 4 year school. It saves a lotttt of money, too. If you pick out good classes and teachers and work hard, it can be a valuable experience. I am very impressed with the quality of my education. It's a good place to start for kids who struggled in high school, have learning difficulties, have a lot on their plate, or have no idea what to do with their lives. You'll find a lot of people in a similar position to yours, I bet. It can be difficult to make friends and commuting to school every day sucks. Some kids lose motivation or get caught up in something non-academic, and then are stuck there for ages or just never finish college (which happens at every college, but I think especially at community colleges), so you must be careful about your choices. If you focus and try hard, it will be worth it.

I hate to say it, but there's the possibility that community college might be your only choice.... It might also be your best choice. Perhaps apply to a few of the colleges that you think you can get into (I don't know what kind of student they accept), but seriously consider community college. Even if you get into a 4 year school, you might want to spend a semester or two (even in the summer) at a 2-year just to adjust to college and knock out any GenEds.