Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

New member asking for match schools?

nunez9619nunez9619 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Search & Selection
Hi! So I'm new to this website and was wondering if anyone can match me to some schools?

The main reason I ask for this is because I'm the first person in my family to go to college and therefore know nothing about colleges.

My stats are:
GPA: 3.7 Unweighted, 4.2 weighted
SAT: 1980, 640 on Reading, 700 on Math, 620 on Writing
ACT: 31 Composite, 24 Reading, 30 Math

Extracurriculars include:
Lead Trumpet for Jazz band that has gone to States and never gotten below straight Superiors for 3 years
Principal Trumpet for Wind Ensemble for 2 years
Going to Solo and Ensemble this year for the 4th year and plan on going to States and getting a Superior.
I have a part-time job as a waiter at my parent's small Mexican Restaurant, that I also help out with a lot more during the summertime (Everyday I'll help prep in the mornings and I'll work as a waiter 3-4 afternoons, since we're only open 5 days a week in the summer.)
I recently found and joined Bugles Across America, which is an volunteer organization that is dedicated to providing bugle players to play Taps at veteran's funerals.
I am part of an Interact Club which is a volunteer club for really any cause we see fit to help.
I'm also part of my School's diversity council which is more school based help, such as going into classrooms and doing activities with elementary children to teach them about diversity and such.
I joined my School's Gay Straight Alliance club when it first started 2 years ago and was planning on running for office this year. We held a benefit concert in which I played in and have raised money for awareness on AIDS and
I was recently inducted into my School's Mu Alpha Theta Club.
I have been a part of my School's Spanish Honor Society for 2 years now.
I was in my school's NJHS for 2 years then got inducted into NHS this year.
I am part of a Band Student Fundraising Committee for helping organize events to make more money so we can offset costs for trips to competitions.

Some other things:
I'm a first generation Mexican American, both of my parents were born in M
Post edited by nunez9619 on

Replies to: New member asking for match schools?

• zobrowardzobroward Posts: 1,634Registered User Senior Member
    what state do you live in now? how far from home are you willing to go? do you want to spread your wings or play it close to home?
  • nunez9619nunez9619 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Florida, I'm willing to go anywhere really, and I guess spread my wings? My parents are thinking about moving after I graduate since we don't really have any family here, the few family members we do have are spread out over Texas. So I'm basically free to go wherever. I love the cold and snow if that helps any hahaha
  • barrk123barrk123 Posts: 3,461Registered User Senior Member
    Check out Rice, they have great engineering and science programs. They also give almost full rides to anyone whose parents make under $80,000 a year. (Rice also has a great music program)

Also make sure you send your ACT score only, it is better than your SAT scores.
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 2,726Registered User Senior Member
    Sounds like you will qualify for FA. You should make sure to apply to some schools that will meet 100% of need, not all schools do. Here's one website that lists them:
    Colleges That Claim to Meet Full Financial Need - US News and World Report

Get familiar with some good search engines that will help you develop a list of engineering schools based on your criteria. CollegeBoard.org has one, College Navigator is also good because you can download the results into a spreadsheet. College Navigator - National Center for Education Statistics
    Since you are a really good student and qualify for FA you should have some really good options available to you.
    I would also recommend you buy or at least borrow from the library a good college guide book to help you learn about different colleges but also about the whole process of selecting schools and applying. My favorite is the Fiske Guide. Your public library should have others as well.
    Do you have the opportunity to start visiting colleges in your area? Not so much because you want to go there, but to give you some ideas about what you might want in a college - size, location, Greek life, sports, student "culture" etc.
  • Crimsonstained7Crimsonstained7 Posts: 1,183Registered User Senior Member
    You should take the SAT or ACT at least once more (whichever one you liked better) and you can use a fee waiver you can get from your guidance counselor. Definitely put University of Florida as a match, because it's a great state flagship. Rice is a reach for most everyone, so that's not really a match at all. I'd say any state flagship would be a match (Other than maybe some of the TOP flagships like UVa, UNC, UofM, etc.)
  • zobrowardzobroward Posts: 1,634Registered User Senior Member
    susquehanna unversity
    muhlenberg college
    drake university
    washington and jefferson college
    if you like larger schools university of pittsburgh

I would also check out college of wooster
  • CreeklandCreekland Posts: 3,067Registered User Senior Member
    Engineering or Chemistry (or other science), good music program, likes snow, and a good need-based aid school...

Check out the U of Rochester. It meets all of the above. Your stats are in the match range now, but with geographical diversity added in along with first generation, I suspect you'd get in.
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 2,726Registered User Senior Member
    U.Rochester, Tufts (reach), Case Western, CMU (reach), Bucknell, Lafayette, Union, Syracuse, Northeastern, BU.
  • nunez9619nunez9619 Posts: 3Registered User New Member
    Alright, so should I be considering Rice or no? I'm fairly certain I could bring up my SAT/ACT scores up this year with some prep.

So far I'm considering UF, Rochester, Carnegie, Lafayette, Northeastern, and Boston University.

I think I'll be visiting the library tomorrow then, I didn't know there were books on selecting colleges...
    I think I will be able to visit UCF, USF, FSU, and/or UF because I know several people that will be visiting their campuses and I could most likely take a day off school and carpool with them. Which should I try to visit?
  • barrk123barrk123 Posts: 3,461Registered User Senior Member
    Its a reach but I think you could get in
  • qialahqialah Posts: 1,659Registered User Senior Member
    I'm going to throw out Oberlin in Ohio, which has good FA, fabulous music and excellent science, although the engineering would be a 3-2 program.
  • M's MomM's Mom Posts: 4,562Registered User Senior Member
    If you can get your test scores up, I would put in an application to Stanford. They are tops in engineering, take seriously the mission of helping `first gen to college,' have the money for scholarships - and given that English isn't your primary language at home, your lower verbal scores may not be held against you. Working in your family's business, by the way, is an excellent EC and one that will be respected by most schools. And the iconoclastic Stanford Band is a lot of fun!