Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Schools with good English programs?

mcsween06mcsween06 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Search & Selection
What schools are known for having good programs for English Majors?

(I live in New Jersey, so what schools are known for good English programs in New Jersey?)
Post edited by mcsween06 on

Replies to: Schools with good English programs?

• whenhenwhenhen Posts: 4,064Registered User Senior Member
    how much can you afford, what are your stats? Any size preferences? Is staying in New Jersey a must have or would you be willing to go farther away for college (but still within the tri state area)
  • mcsween06mcsween06 Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    @whenhen,
    I'm really not sure about what I can afford yet, I have a 3.8 GPA, about 1900 on the SATs, good grades
    I am really just beginning to think about colleges, so I dont have any size preferences yet
    Also, staying in New Jersey is not a must, but my parents would like me to stay here. But , personally, am open to going anywhere in the Northeast or as far south as Washington D.C.
    Thanks so much :D
  • Syoung2Syoung2 Posts: 348Registered User Junior Member
    Might be a bit of a reach, but Kenyon College in Ohio has a great English program.
  • whenhenwhenhen Posts: 4,064Registered User Senior Member
    The first thing you should do is ask your parents what you can afford. That will largely determine where you can go. Rutgers seems to have plenty of English courses, so you can use that as a possible academic safety. The thing about english is there is an enormous surplus of phDs so even some truly crappy schools might have stellar faculty simply because hiring the humanities is so competitive. Since Rutgers is not crappy, it will likely have excellent professors.

Also worth considering is TCNJ. If you're not comfortable with larger schools, TCNJ has about 6500 undergrads. It seems to have quite extensive offerings in English, but I've got no idea how rigorous the course work will be.

Again, ask your parents how much they can pay for college.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 62,328Registered User Senior Member
    You need to ask your parents how much they'll pay. That will largely determine where you should apply.

Since English majors are at every school, there are many, many, many good programs.

What is your career goal?
  • NJSueNJSue Posts: 2,203Registered User Senior Member
    Rutgers NB is the second best English program in NJ after Princeton. If you do not want a huge school, TCNJ would be the third choice.
  • zobrowardzobroward Posts: 1,569Registered User Senior Member
    I would look to butler university (not in jersey or NE) but probably worth spending 10 minutes looking at their website and thinking about it.