Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Rhodes College as a Safety and other similar colleges?

max1317max1317 Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Search & Selection
I was wondering if Rhodes would be a safety for me based on my stats.
Also what are some other safety colleges similar to Rhodes, in terms of good pre-med program, that cost ~$40,000?

2050 SAT (660 M, 700 CR, 690 W)
4.14 W GPA, 3.94 UW
SAT II: 730 US History, 670 Chem, just took Math II
AP Scores: 3 World History, 4 Chem, 5 AP US His. Lan&Comp, now taking Gov and Politics, Bio, and Calc AB

ECs: JV Wrestling, Track and Field, Intern at the Obama campaign this year 12hrs/week, Paid work at a grocery store 11hrs/week, NHS, Filmed various events for local TV stations, (Summer) attended NSLC on healthcare&med., co-leader of school's MUN for 2 years, red cross volunteer at hospital 3hrs/week, translator at special olympics

Awards: AP scholar with honor, NHS(not sure if its considered an honor or EC), 2 first place videos in regions film festival, plus academic awards in regular Chem and AP Chem

Thanks for your help!
Post edited by max1317 on

Replies to: Rhodes College as a Safety and other similar colleges?

• kelijake1987kelijake1987 Posts: 412Registered User Member
    Gee, max, I always feel a bit weird calling any private school that uses the holistic method as a complete "safety" per se (and I suspect they'd resent being placed in that category as welL!).

Maybe low match? I dunno, others can feel free to chime who are familiar with Rhodes.

That said, obviously your stats are very strong and I think they'd be lucky to have you!
  • max1317max1317 Posts: 48Registered User Junior Member
    I don't feel like safety is always a degrading term. From what I've researched, it seems like Rhodes has great programs for pre-med students who want a smaller school and that they have a high med. school acceptance rate. Anyways that just my $0.02. Thanks for the feedback!
  • zobrowardzobroward Posts: 1,595Registered User Senior Member
    hendrix college , muhlenebrg college
    birmingham southern college rollins college
  • tk21769tk21769 Posts: 7,636Registered User Senior Member
    Rhodes and other private LACs are expensive.
    If your family isn't able and willing to cover the full price, or an Expected Family Contribution that is less than full price, then it isn't a safety.

If cost isn't an issue, then it might be a safety for a student with very strong qualifications (above the 75th percentile mark for GPA/rank and scores, with good ECs). The OP's scores are within the 25th-75th percentile "average" band. So I'd say it is a match.
    bump 10 characters
  • MomofWildChildMomofWildChild Posts: 17,195Registered User Senior Member
    Any other non-Southern colleges similar to Rhodes, possibly a little larger (~5000?) but same kind of research opportunities and good pre-med program?
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 37,488Registered User Senior Member
    Rhodes lists "level of applicant's interest" as "considered" for freshman admission, so it presumably does not like to be used as a safety.

How about Truman State, Minnesota - Morris, UNC - Asheville, SUNY - Geneseo, and other lower cost public LACs?
  • warblersrulewarblersrule Posts: 8,737Super Moderator Senior Member
    ^
    I can't comment on the other colleges you listed, but the differences between Rhodes and UNCA are pretty stark...underfunded publics don't compete at all well with decently endowed private institutions. They're a bit cheaper than comparable private colleges, though, so they're admittedly sometimes a decent deal financially.

Max -- For larger schools, check out Case Western, though it'd be a match rather than a safety. If you can compromise on location, Trinity U is a great school, and you might have a shot at merit aid. (They're extremely generous, though your stats are a little low for a large scholarship.)

Since you're from Ohio, I'd add one of the smaller Ohio publics (BGSU, Miami U, etc.) as a surefire affordable safety.
  • Cens10Cens10 Posts: 732Registered User Member
    I'd also recommend Grinnell in Iowa if you don't want a south school, although it would be a match instead of a safety. Although it is on the lower side of students (about 1,700 IIRC) I've heard a lot of great things about their pre-med program.
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Posts: 920Registered User Member
    Folks who have been through this before consider "safety" as: school you will get into, you can afford, and you will be happy to attend.

On that basis, private schools using holistic admissions are very hard to call safeties because, even if your stats place you at the very top of their pool, they just may reject you because they admit students who are passionate about them.

A state flagship with a stat-based admission program can generally be a true safety.

Case Western in Cleveland could be a strong possibility, and they give good merit money to their upper end-stat students.

Although still big, Univ Iowa (18,000) undergrads is still smaller than most midwest flagships, and has the benefit of a stat-based admission process called the Regents Admission Index. You can plug your stats to their RAI calculator and see if you will be admitted and if you qualify for automatic merit money (only $4500, but still). There are other, competitive scholarships which give more money. Iowa has the undergrad research opportunities you would expect in a large school, with impressive health care campus right there.

We know someone who is pre-med at Rhodes who just loves it, but again, given its size and competitive admissions, too close to call as a safety.

Good luck.
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Posts: 12,219Registered User Senior Member
    ^ agree. I'm hardpressed to call a regional top college, with increasing attention and good FA, a safety. For STEM, your total SAT will not be as important as your M and 670 Chem. Make sure you are looking at stats profiles for current freshmen.

Also, beware that "high med school acceptance rate" is often a matter of them weeding out all but the very best. Can be brutal.

Apply, you have a good shot, but have real safeties, as well.
  • AxelrodAxelrod Posts: 663Registered User Member
    Nothing "safe" about Memphis.
  • LonghaulLonghaul Posts: 2,331Registered User Senior Member
    In PA, Ursinus is a solid bet. Run the Net Price Calculator. With your stats you would get merit from Ursinus. I've always felt Ursinus' acceptance rate is high because they want high stat kids to utilize them as a low match.

You will be hard pressed to find a school that has Rhodes ties to a major national hospital.
    I am actually not a resident of Ohio but thank you all for your suggestions!