Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. Get your free copy of the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook and get helpful advice on how to choose a college, get in, and pay for it: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Having trouble finding "matches"!

austinkentuckyaustinkentucky Posts: 10Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Search & Selection
Hi, I've found, like most of you, that it's a lot easier to find reaches than matches and safeties! lol. Any ideas?

GPA: UW 3.76, W 4.0
ACT superscored:
Composite - 34
English - 36
Math - 32
Reading - 36
Science - 33
Writing - 8
AP exams:
Psych - 5
Statistics - 4
Spanish - 5
Music Theory - 5
English Lang. - 4
Taking this year: English Lit, Spanish Lit, American Gov., Macroeconomics

Other stuff:
Strong ECs (Heavy involvement in music and theatre, founder/president of GSA, a couple other clubs)
Good essays (well, at least I think so. haha)
1 of my recs should be very good (the other should be pretty good)
LGBT (mentioned in essays, founded GSA senior year)
Talent in singing (may submit recording if I can)

And here's my current list:

Reaches
Yale
Columbia
Brown
Vanderbilt

Matches
Tufts
Brandeis
USC
Geneseo

Safeties
in-state schools
Boston U
Northeastern

Thanks!
Post edited by austinkentucky on

Replies to: Having trouble finding "matches"!

• austinkentuckyaustinkentucky Posts: 10Registered User New Member
    I should clarify—I have some matches but am not sure if they're truly matches and not reaches. Also, I feel my list is quite top-heavy.
    I could use some matches and safeties like Northeastern where I could get scholarships.
    Thanks!
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 21,303Registered User Senior Member
    There are several threads on guaranteed merit-based scholarships in the Financial Aid Forum. Go there and keep scrolling down until you hit them. Some have early cut-off dates.

If you need serious money, you may need to re-think your geographical preferences.
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 2,731Registered User Senior Member
    Tufts admit rate is ~23%, so I would call it a reach (for everyone) rather than a match.
    Northeastern is a match, not a safety. Not sure you stand out there enough to get non-need based aid or much of it.
    What do you want to major in? location?
    Try using the search engine here on CC and put in your requirements. then your stats (and select "I'm interested in schools where I would be well above average, to increase my financial aid opportunities") and see what pops up.
    The Kiplinger's tables are also useful:
    Best Values in Private Colleges, 2012-13
  • DelAcadDelAcad Posts: 12Registered User New Member
    The money might not work well, but many state schools are top 10 in specific majors.
  • informativeinformative Posts: 1,828Registered User Senior Member
    Boston College would be a good addition.