Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Any colleges that would accept me?

Bri913Bri913 Posts: 9Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Search & Selection
I'm 17 years old and I'm homeschooled. I want to major in journalism to become a photographer at National Geographic.

That said, I don't know if there's even a college out there that would accept me. Both my parents are high school drop outs, my brother is a community college drop out. I'm living below the poverty line, and, like I said, I'm homeschooled, teaching myself since my mother couldn't. (Through Penn Foster, if that matters)

My grade at the moment is an 89, though I'm more than sure it'll come up after I take my next test. I took Algebra 1 my eight grade year, when still in public school, and then took Geometry my freshman year before leaving public school. In my online school now, it's all general, low-level classes.

I've been looking at colleges like Salem State University and Hawaii Pacific University.

But can anyone tell me whether there are any colleges that would take me, or whether I'm just being ridicolous for trying to do what nobody else in my family could? Does anyone know of a non-community college with low enough standards for me to get in?

Add: My composite ACT score was a 26: 32 in Reading, 28 in english, and I think an 18 in science and 16 in math, if that helps. I took it my freshman year, but plan to retake soon.
Post edited by Bri913 on

Replies to: Any colleges that would accept me?

• intparentintparent Posts: 12,402Registered User Senior Member
    Your ACT score certainly indicates that you should be accepted to some schools. And it sounds like you will do better when retaking. If you can, get a prep book and study, and take some practice tests prior to taking it again.

Here is a whole forum on College Confidential about home schooling & college:

Home Schooling and College - College Confidential

The parents who post out there regularly can probably provide some help in determine whether your coursework credentials are sufficient for the application process.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,182Registered User Senior Member
    What can your family pay?

There are many colleges and universities that would be happy to admit you, but what you can afford will determine where you can attend. Most institutions do not have sufficient aid for all of their students.

Go to the main page where all the forums are listed, and scroll down to find the Homeschooling Forum and the Financial Aid Form. You can get lots of useful advice in both of those places.

Good luck with everything!
  • zobrowardzobroward Posts: 1,545Registered User Senior Member
    university of akron
    youngstown state
    st cloud state
    if you like it a little warmer maybe
    Angelo State University in TX
  • Bri913Bri913 Posts: 9Registered User New Member
    Thanks everyone :) I just wanted to say that I just checked my scores from freshman year, and I was wrong on my score. They were: Math-18 Science-23 English-27 Reading-34, with a composite of 26
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Posts: 3,155Registered User Senior Member
    Getting in isn't an issue, there are a lot of colleges that would accept you including both open enrollment ones and ones that are selective.

Paying for college may be a problem though it sounds like you might qualify for Pell grants and federal loans and maybe additional funds from your state, if it offers any. That could cover a community college and it might cover more than that.

What state are you in?
    I'm in Alabama
    What can your family pay?

My mom might could get me a thousand a year. She herself only makes 12,000 a year as a waitress, a job she just lost today actually, and she supports me, my brother, and my bro's fiancee. So, basically, I can't expect any help from her.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,182Registered User Senior Member
    When do you expect to graduate? 2013 or 2014? The public universities in Alabama have some bang-up merit scholarships. If your GPA and ACT scores are high enough, you get the money. Period. Since you are home schooling, you may be able to plan to graduate when your GPA is good enough, and you may be able to organize your life to prep for the exam. Right now you don't have the scores.

In the end, if all you can afford is your local CC, there is nothing wrong with starting there and then transferring in-state to a public U to keep your costs down. Lots of people do that. Lots of people also work full or part-time while they are in school. If you have to do that, you will be in good company.
  • CreeklandCreekland Posts: 2,984Registered User Senior Member
    Ok, I just saw this thread - it offers more info than the other I just replied to.

First, I'd delay graduation a year to set you up better. You're starting applications pretty late for this year for your best options.

Then, I'd look at taking a community college class or two (dual enrollment). These will count as high school credits as well as possibly giving you college credit when you switch to a 4 year school - AND - just taking a couple will preserve your freshman status for applications (important for financial aid at some places).

In the meantime, take some challenging courses and get involved in some EC's you like (anything from work to clubs to community service). I suspect your scores will automatically come up when you retake the ACT as you took it in your freshman year before you had some of the math classes (like Alg 2). Nonetheless, buy a study guide (Barrons is great) or get one from your local library for free (do the work on a separate sheet of paper) and brush up on some topics.

Then, spend your time researching colleges. You are looking for 100% need-based aid schools. There are a fair number of them out there, but pretty much all of them require a better score than a 26. Try for a 30 or higher. You can do it IMO. You just need a little more time to set it up.

In one more year you'll have a higher ACT score, some EC's worthy of adding and Letters of Recommendation from your community college classes (make sure you STUDY to do well in these as they will be what your admissions committees look at highly since you're homeschooled - the grade and the LOR). If you get a part time job, you'll also have some money to get you started. Plus, you'll have looked at colleges to see which types you prefer and who offers good need-based aid. If you're interested in heading north, Franklin & Marshall is one you might like.

If you are sure you want to go to college this coming year, you still can, but your choices will be far more limited than what they could be - especially due to your financial situation. 100% need based aid schools can be challenging to get into. You could try, but get applying now.
    Thanks! I like the idea of the dual enrollment at my local CC. I'll call them.
  • CreeklandCreekland Posts: 2,984Registered User Senior Member
    Sounds good. Just be careful how many hours you sign up for as some colleges (4 year) care when it comes to maintaining your freshman status - and that can be important for significant aid. Unless you decide to go the 2 - 2 route (2 years at cc and 2 at a 4 year), then you want to make sure you are still in high school and dual enrolled or just taking a couple of classes during a gap year.

Then work on your ACT. ;)

Once you have new scores, repost with them and folks can suggest colleges good with need-based aid.