Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Another top 50 colleges survey.

barronsbarrons Posts: 23,690Registered User Senior Member
edited November 2012 in College Search & Selection

Replies to: Another top 50 colleges survey.

• OHMomof2OHMomof2 Posts: 3,478Registered User Senior Member
    From The 50 Best Colleges in America - Business Insider
    For our fourth annual list of the Best Colleges in America, we asked real professionals in a variety of industries—most of whom have hiring experience—what they consider to be the best colleges in America.

Almost 1,500 of our readers responded, of which 90.7 percent had bachelor's degrees and 64.8 percent had hiring experience. Almost 30 percent of the respondents work in finance, 22 percent work in technology, 9.9 percent work in education, 9.9 are current students, 9.2 percent work in media and marketing, and 8 percent work in law.

OK.
  • goldenboy8784goldenboy8784 Posts: 1,698Registered User Senior Member
    Interesting ranking; I'm surprised to see JHU so high but other than that, spot on. This study seems to give public schools more credit too which is good and hopefully will make Alexandre, barrons, and UCBChemEGrad happy.
  • timetodecide12timetodecide12 Posts: 669Registered User Member
    The list is brutal to LACs, and only included the elites (Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, Colgate, Davidson, etc). I sort of agree with that though.

If I made a top 50 list, I would have included most of the same schools so I think its a pretty good list.
  • nostalgicwisdomnostalgicwisdom Posts: 840Registered User Member
    Pomona, which has been ranked consistently higher than most of the schools on this list on almost every factor one can think of, is not even in this list...
  • muckdogs07muckdogs07 Posts: 1,166Registered User Senior Member
    As is appropriate for "Business Insider", this ranking appears geared toward schools where the Fortune 500 recruit. As such, I am surprised more Big 10 schools do not make the list.
  • invasioninvasion Posts: 55Registered User Junior Member
    Weirdly, for Stanford and MIT, the list cites their US News score from last year (#5) while for Dartmouth it cites its score from this year (#10).

Also, judging by the "reader comments" they included, this is worthless.
  • thatsallthatsall Posts: 93Registered User Junior Member
    This wasn't a study - it was a survey. I suspect there's a lot of correlation between where these business insiders went to college and the colleges they selected. For this survey to be described as a list of the best colleges in the US is not accurate. Of course smaller schools would have trouble competing on such a survey. I'm not sure such a list has much value at all.