Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

university of alabama Tuscaloosa vs huntsville vs birmingham

jellymanjellyman Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
edited November 2012 in College Search & Selection
Hi

university of alabama Tuscaloosa vs huntsville vs birmingham

I want to go into enginnering but also want to have social life and take music lessons and join acapella or some sort of singing groups.

I've heard that huntsville is best out of the three for engineering but is a commuter college so no one will be there on the weekends.

I also don't want to be too small of a minority, and collegeboard's student body stats are:
Tuscaloosa - 1% asian Birmingham - 4% asian Huntsville - 3% asian

any thoughts?

thank you.

My ACT stats:
34 english 32 math 31 reading 24 science
Post edited by jellyman on

Replies to: university of alabama Tuscaloosa vs huntsville vs birmingham

• happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,573Registered User Senior Member
    Apply to all of them right now because some have big merit scholarships the you probably qualify for, but the cut-off dates are coming up soon. Then once you are in and have a better sense if the potential costs, go visit each of them. You might find that there is a clear winner.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 63,371Registered User Senior Member
    Even though Alabama's Asian American numbers are low, the Asian students on campus are largely concentrated in STEM majors, so their presence will seem larger. Plus, the int'l Asian students aren't counted in those numbers.

Alabama's Asian numbers have increased...and again, int'l students ethnicities aren't included in ethnic counts and Bama enrolls a lot of int'ls from Asian and South American countries.

these are the newest numbers released:

58 percent come from Alabama
    38 percent come from elsewhere in the United States
    (55% of freshman come from OOS)

4 percent are international students from 68 countries
    28 percent of undergraduates belong to sororities or fraternities
    55 percent are women
    13 percent are African-American
    3 percent are Hispanic-American
    2 percent are Asian-American
    28 percent major in arts and sciences
    21 percent major in business
    9 percent major in communication
    9 percent major in education
    12 percent major in engineering
    10 percent major in human environmental sciences
    2 percent major in law
    6 percent major in nursing
    2 percent major in social work

Alabama's College of Engineering is ranked higher than UAH or UAB. Plus, Bama has the brand new mega-sized Science and Engineering Complex.

I live near UAH, and yes, it is largely a commuter/suitcase school. UAB is as well. Alabama is a residential university.

Alabama's scholarship app deadline is Dec 1st, so get the school and scholarship apps in ASAP.....no essays, no teacher recs...both quick and easy to do.

You have a 30 composite, so when you apply, select eng'g...that way you'll get free tuition PLUS 2500 per year. Total Value of scholarships is about $100k.

Alabama also has a very good College of Music
    http://music.ua.edu/

Go to the Bama forum for more info
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/
  • jellymanjellyman Posts: 95Registered User Junior Member
    thank you
    I'm on the scholarship page and i'm wondering if I should wait another two days until my SAT scores come out. If I have a better score on that than my ACT (composite 30) I would qualify for more scholarships right? Is that something I can update after I turn in my scholarship application? And Also I can't find the "college of engineering" box that I can check off. There is only "college of arts and science", "culverhouse college of commerce and business administration", and "college of education". Am I doing something wrong?