Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Online Spanish

oneousoneous Posts: 5Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in College Search & Selection
I'm having trouble finding any online spanish courses. I made some silly decisions and I'm now faced with the task of transferring a single Spanish class in order to graduate from UC Davis, and enrolling in an ordinary 12-week class in-person is not an option for me.

Are you aware of any online spanish courses that grant college credit? Why does there seem to be such a dearth of online language courses?
Post edited by oneous on

Replies to: Online Spanish

• happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,169Registered User Senior Member
    Do you need an actual college class, or can you study anywhere and get the credit you need with a CLEP exam?
  • oneousoneous Posts: 5Registered User New Member
    no, it needs to be UC-transferrable; CLEP is not allowed.

I'm wondering if I could do something tricky like take CLEP, transfer that to a school that accepts CLEP, get credit for a spanish class at that intitution, and then transfer that class to UC Davis. Probably not, but it's a long shot.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 19,169Registered User Senior Member
    You are correct that that probably wouldn't work. Usually CLEP credits are recorded on transcripts as credit by exam.

Can this class be taken at a community college? If so, check the night/weekend courses at the ones near you. You might find a class that fits your schedule.

Must the language be Spanish? Latin or Classical Greek would be much more do-able by distance because you don't need to actually speak them. A language that you need to speak (and here I'm including the visual speech-equivalents of a signed language) really requires live human-to-human contact. Some of that can be accomplished in distance mode using video chats, etc. but live in-person classes are much better. Both Berlitz and Rosetta Stone offer live but distant instruction. However I don't believe that either offers courses for college credit.