Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Good fall back graduate schools for Computer Science

alphacentaurialphacentauri Posts: 17Registered User New Member
edited November 2012 in Graduate School
Hi,

I am currently an EECS (electrical engineering and computer sciences) undergraduate at UC Berkeley, planning to graduate in Fall 2013, focusing exclusively on computer science. I am very much interested in going to grad school, and in particular a PhD program in computer science. However, seeing as how to my current GPA is a little below 3.6, and given the fact that I have not been involved with much substantial research (I am a transfer student, so my first two years provided me with no such opportunities), I feel that I need to look into some fall back grad schools (relatively speaking, as my top choices are schools in the top 5 for computer science, such as Stanford, MIT, and CMU).

So what are some good safety schools to apply to that will still allow me to pursue a PhD degree in computer science? By the way, I am extremely interested in computer science, so I am looking for fall back schools that will provide me with something substantial in terms of my education, not just something that will give me a degree.

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by alphacentauri on

Replies to: Good fall back graduate schools for Computer Science

• happymomof1happymomof1 Posts: 18,814Registered User Senior Member
    Ask your professors about this. They are your best source.

You should ask them if you would be best off to take a job as a research tech or to pursue an MS so that you can become a better prepared for a PhD program.
  • BeanTownGirlBeanTownGirl Posts: 2,724Registered User Senior Member
    I'm not a huge fan of rankings, but here are the graduate CS rankings. USNews creates this based solely on "based solely on the results of surveys sent to academics"

Best Computer Science Programs | Top Computer Science Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools
  • Thomas_Thomas_ Posts: 629Registered User Member
    Can't you do Berkeley's 5 year program and get a Master's? That would probably help you most and allow you to do some research. Without any kind of research experience you'll have a very hard time getting into a higher ranked PhD program, but you may be able to get into a Master's.

The other way it to take 1-2 years off and work in a research environment like a lab (academic or industry).
  • alphacentaurialphacentauri Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    Ah, perhaps I can look into the 5 year master's. I was always under the impression that it wasn't for me just because I've heard it oriented for people seeking the computer industry as a profession, as opposed being interested in academic research. It can't hurt to look into, and I will do just that! Thanks.
  • alphacentaurialphacentauri Posts: 17Registered User New Member
    BeanTownGirl - I've been staring at those rankings for quite a while, but don't really know how low (or high) I should go in looking at fall back schools. Any suggestions?