Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Things that make a college application better?

ndicesarendicesare Posts: 2Registered User New Member
edited January 2013 in College Search & Selection
I'm only a sophomore but I think I should look into things that would look good on a college application?
Post edited by ndicesare on

Replies to: Things that make a college application better?

• WordworkerWordworker Posts: 842Registered User Member
    Excellent grades in difficult classes.

High scores on standardized tests.

A track record of success in some activity you really love, or a long-term part-time job (even retail or fast food will be ok).
  • ndicesarendicesare Posts: 2Registered User New Member
    Should I look into things like an independent study or volunteer work? I'd like to do something that would really catch the attention of a college. I'm in most honor classes and my grades are good but I feel like doing something else would really help my chances, I just don't know what that would be.
  • yankeesfanaticyankeesfanatic Posts: 1,450Registered User Senior Member
    Essays.

Essays, essays, essays.

Seriously, start working on them junior year or at least in the summer before senior year. Not having enough time to write essays kept me from applying to a couple schools.
  • snarlatronsnarlatron Posts: 598Registered User Member
    I'd like to do something that would really catch the attention of a college.

If you do things just for that criterion, then you will be living life backwards, and it will never end. Do things that you are curious about, are interested in, are good at. If you are an interesting person with cool experiences that matter to you, THAT will catch the attention of a college.

Please don't do volunteer work just for your resume. Using needy people for your personal advancement is really pretty low if you think of it.

Best wishes!