Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Which of these schools are the most liberal/conservative?

AltoSaxPlayerAltoSaxPlayer Posts: 175Registered User Junior Member
edited April 2013 in College Search & Selection
University of Vermont
University of Scranton
Rutgers
Pitt
UWisconsin-Madison

Out of these schools, which are considered to be the most liberal or conservative? I know Scranton is kinda conservative and Rutgers and UW-Madison are liberal, but how liberal/conservative are they? Is one significantly more liberal/conservative than the others? Thanks.
Post edited by AltoSaxPlayer on

Replies to: Which of these schools are the most liberal/conservative?

• AltoSaxPlayerAltoSaxPlayer Posts: 175Registered User Junior Member
    bump 10char
  • sally305sally305 Posts: 4,746Registered User Senior Member
    UW-Madison is fairly liberal and is in a very liberal small city. But it is a huge university and attracts people with a wide range of political views. As the state flagship it attracts many of the best and brightest students from around Wisconsin, which is fairly conservative outside Madison, Milwaukee and a few other areas. I think almost anyone would feel comfortable there.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Posts: 32,005Registered User Senior Member
    The conservative aligned CollegeGuide.org - Home has red/yellow/green light ratings for what they see as the political environment. Green lights indicate conservative schools (many of which are religious schools). Red lights indicate the opposite.
  • AltoSaxPlayerAltoSaxPlayer Posts: 175Registered User Junior Member
    Thanks to both of you!
  • levarfanlevarfan Posts: 21Registered User New Member
    Scranton may be Catholic, but it is run by the Jesuits and more socially liberal than you might expect.
  • GoosemomGoosemom Posts: 7Registered User New Member
    Was just going to say something similar to levarfan. I don't see Scranton as being conservative at all. I live nearby and have friends who teach there.
  • informativeinformative Posts: 1,657Registered User Senior Member
    University of Vermont - Lib
    University of Scranton - Conserv
    Rutgers - Lib
    Pitt - Lib
    UWisconsin-Madison - Conserv
  • tk21769tk21769 Posts: 7,121Registered User Senior Member
    Wisconsin gets a yellow light from the conservative ISI College Guide.
  • ConfusedMominMAConfusedMominMA Posts: 706Registered User Member
    This info may be very outdated but my grandfather went to UW-Madison for undergrad and grad for Economics in the 30's and I always that it was quite liberal. Maybe it has changed.
  • nickpsnickps Posts: 119Registered User Junior Member
    Madison is one of the most liberal cities you will find, but the university draws from all the rural cities around Wisconsin where there are far more conservatives.