Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community polls, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

Top Colleges Best for Pre-Med?

thelemonisinplaythelemonisinplay Posts: 494Registered User Member
edited April 2013 in College Search & Selection
I've been looking into the Ivy Leagues, as well as other nationally recognized colleges like WUSTL, UChicago, Duke, etc. I also know that I want to pursue a career in medicine in the future, and I'd like to go the pre-med route if possible (accelerated medical or BS/MD programs) or just regular undergrad at a place that's well-known for medicine. Which of the Ivy Leagues/other top colleges is best for medicine/pre-med?
Post edited by thelemonisinplay on

Replies to: Top Colleges Best for Pre-Med?

• AlexandreAlexandre Posts: 21,652Super Moderator Senior Member
    Some really good accelerated medical programs.

Brown PLME
    Northwestern HPME
    Rice/Baylor MSP

Those three programs have very reasonable conditions for their accelerated programs students. Generally speaking, a 3.4 GPA with no MCAT required is all it takes to fullfil program requirements in good standing.

There are others too, but they usually come with steeper requirements. Pitt and WUSTL require that their students graduate from college with a 3.8 GPA. WUSTL also requires 12 on the MCAT.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Posts: 21,652Super Moderator Senior Member
    Some universities known for excellent premed track records:

Brown University
    Case Western Reserve University
    Columbia University
    Cornell University
    Dartmouth College
    Duke University
    Emory University
    Georgetown University
    Harvard University
    Indiana University-Bloomington
    Johns Hopkins University
    Kenyon College
    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
    Northwestern University
    Princeton University
    Rice University
    Stanford University
    University of Arizona
    University of California-Berkeley
    University of California-Davis
    University of California-Los Angeles
    University of California-San Diego
    University of Chicago
    University of Florida
    University of Georgia
    University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign
    University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
    University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
    University of Notre Dame
    University of Pennsylvania
    University of Texas-Austin
    University of Virginia
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
    Vanderbilt University
    Washington University-St Louis
    Williams College
    Yale University
  • CreeklandCreekland Posts: 2,945Registered User Senior Member
    Start here:

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/1486654-premed-resources-thread-start-here-first.html

There is no "best choice" for pre-meds. There are pros and cons of many places and oodles of options. Many of these have been compiled for students (like you - or my guy who ended up at U Rochester) to give them a bit to think about. Diversify your apps, then see what appeals to you when you have options.
  • tk21769tk21769 Posts: 7,369Registered User Senior Member
    What is the objective evidence that any of the colleges mentioned here have better premed programs (or admission outcomes) than colleges not listed? For example, for a given set of stats (GPA and MCAT scores), are their admit rates to specific med schools (or to med school in general) any higher than other colleges' admit rates?

Here is a site where you can explore the self-reported qualifications and outcomes of applicants to many med schools:
    MDapplicants.com

You can call up profiles of all reporting students admitted to, say, Duke medical school. You'll find that many undergraduate schools are represented (including Ivies, big state universities, and LACs). Unfortunately, there does not seem to be any way to show comparative admit rates for various combinations of schools and stats.
  • liberty55liberty55 Posts: 103Registered User Junior Member
    The best pre-med college is the one that'll allow you to perform the best academically! Go to MIT and get a C in Organic and you are out of the race! Go to St. John's Univ and get a B+ you can gain admission. Good GPA and solid MCAT scores are the best premed " school"! I do not know why the posters are listing these pressure cooker schools as if they will somehow prepare you better for medical school or allow you to gain entrance at a much higher rate! Yes it's true an equal GPA from a top school may have a slight advantage however if the MCAT scores are solid the student will gain admission to virtually the same medical school whether from MIT undergrad, a flagship state school, or a top 200 university. That's been shown time and time again, year after year.
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 59,820Registered User Senior Member
    The best pre-med college is the one that'll allow you to perform the best academically! Go to MIT and get a C in Organic and you are out of the race! Go to St. John's Univ and get a B+ you can gain admission. Good GPA and solid MCAT scores are the best premed " school"! I do not know why the posters are listing these pressure cooker schools as if they will somehow prepare you better for medical school or allow you to gain entrance at a much higher rate! Yes it's true an equal GPA from a top school may have a slight advantage however if the MCAT scores are solid the student will gain admission to virtually the same medical school whether from MIT undergrad, a flagship state school, or a top 200 university. That's been shown time and time again, year after year.

This is very true. I've spent a lot of time during the last 2 years looking over posts on that "other" premed website. Without a stellar GPA, your hopes can be sunk.

I would only go to a top school for undergrad if I had a very strong math and science foundation, and my test scores were well-within the upper quartiles. Time and time again I would see posts from kids who were lucky to get into an elite school (stats in the middle quartiles) and they don't end up with med-school-ready GPAs because their classmates are stronger than they are.

Nearly all colleges treat the pre-med pre-reqs as "weeder courses." They limit the number of As awarded. Doing this serves two functions: It weeds out the weaker premed students, and it weeds out the weeker STEM students.

Having just gone thru the med school app process with my younger son, high GPA, strong MCAT, good ECs, good LORs, and a good personality are what gets you in.

First you have to snag an interview....and med schools only interview about 10% of their applicants, so first your stats have to look good on paper (the LizzyM method works well as long as you take into acct that OOS publics are unlikelies).

If you're lucky to get interviewed, then you have to "shine" because the interview weighs a LOT. SOMs want "people persons". they want to weed out those who seem to only want to be doctors because of the money or parent-pressure/expectations.

Many interviews are "stats blind" which means that the interviewers do NOT know your stats or anything. The fact that you're being interviewed means that the school has already determined that you're stats-qualified. The interview is to determine if you're a good fit for the school and for the medical profession. It's also known as the "crazy test." lol

While my son took a risky route, (he only completed 6 applications (ugh! lol), he did get 3 interviews and got accepted to all 3, including his top pick. I don't recommend that anyone follow his example! :/

Keep in mind that about half of all med school applicants don't get any US MD acceptances. A successful app process means that you've gotten ONE US MD acceptance. That's how hard the process is.
  • eab333eab333 Posts: 20Registered User New Member
    I am not the caliber student who can get into these schools. Of any of the following, do you know if they have good pre-med programs?

St Louis University
    Marquette University
    Ohio State University
    Xavier University
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids Posts: 59,820Registered User Senior Member
    ^^^
    You need to start your own thread. In it, include your GPA, your test scores (include SAT breakdown), and your budget for how much your family will pay.

Then we can help you with YOUR situation.
  • tk21769tk21769 Posts: 7,369Registered User Senior Member
    ^^ See if they offer at least the following courses:
    General Chemistry with lab: 2 semesters
    Organic Chemistry with lab: 2 semesters
    General Physics with lab: 2 semesters
    General Biology with lab: 2 semesters
    English: 2 semesters
    Calculus: 1 semester

That's about all there is to a "pre-med program" (other than some information-sharing and counseling). The rest is pretty much up to you (your GPA, your test scores, your ECs, and how you present yourself in an admission interview.) As long as you take those courses, you can major in virtually anything (math, biology ... or art history).

It really does not even make much sense to ask, "Which top colleges are best for pre-med?" From year to year at any school, different professors may be teaching General Biology. Different pre-med students will be taking different English courses. Many pre-med students will place out of Calculus altogether. So it's not as if there is a single Kenyon College pre-med experience that can be compared with a single Brown University or Georgia Tech pre-med experience.
  • CreeklandCreekland Posts: 2,945Registered User Senior Member
    St Louis University
    Marquette University
    Ohio State University
    Xavier University

Any of those schools (and countless others) can get kids into med school. It all depends upon how well YOU do as a student.

I'll agree with mom2collegekids that you want to pick a school where you are going in with upper quartile stats. This guarantees nothing, but it does say you are as strong as the other students who are likely to be there with you. Then you need to do the work to get the GPA and MCAT scores while enjoying yourself in extra-curriculars.