Long-time CC lurker, but had a question I could not solve for myself - so I created this account to ask the CC experts
11th grade, Female, Chinese (ESL, but English-educated)
American citizen, Mississippi resident, lived in Asia for last 10 years
Very competitive school (on scholarship)
SAT: 2300+, 700+ Math, 700+ Physics, 700+ Chemistry
GPA: Top 10%
Senior: Most rigorous (A Levels)
Self-study: Latin, Arabic, AP Psych (5), AP Comp Sci. (5), 7 edX courses, Great Books
Top 3 in international academic competition
Gold in Chemistry and Math olympiads, made USAMO
Science research awards
Extensive volunteering: founded two programs, a non-profit
Published paper in journal
Clubs and others
It would be ideal if a school fulfilled all the following criteria, but realistically I am looking for schools that satisfy most of it. I am also looking for schools with special features I can fall in love with
- Very strong Economics w/ advanced quantitative courses; bonus: good Applied Math, Public Policy, Education, Business.
- Academic-bent and high admissions rate to top Economics and/or Public Policy Ph.D. programs.
- Strong Neuroscience, Cognitive Science and/or Psychology.
- Good Chemistry, Physics, History and Government; bonus: Engineering.
- Chinese for native speakers (advanced courses, independent studies, preceptorship).
- All-around decent liberal arts curriculum where double majoring is common; am fine with or without a core.
- Small class sizes, close student-faculty interactions.
- Great undergraduate research opportunities.
- Substantial social activism and volunteering.
- Am rather an overachiever, so would like many clubs where students actively participate.
Social and environment:
I am intellectually gifted, serious, and have a well-characterized introverted personality. Due to a combination of character traits and personal circumstances (e.g. chronic neurological condition), I have had anxiety issues and battled depression. I am coping very well and put the past behind me, but college is a significant change and in light of my inclinations, I am extremely picky about being in a suitable environment. I would like:
- Very intellectual environment
- Not big on sports, partying, or Greek life
- Bonded and friendly residential houses preferable
- Wary of schools known for depressive environments
- Racial and demographically diverse, students not overwhelmingly in-state
- Smaller school, less than ~ 7000 (arbitrary)
- More than ~ 2000 or part of consortium
- Looking at small universities, large LACs, consortiums
- Not single-sex unless part of consortium
- Not in major city, not rural - near urban city preferable
Parents earn ~ $250k USD; they have saved and will be happy to pay for any school that would be best for me. Will not qualify for FA, but merit aid would be preferable for safeties.
Here is my current list:
University of Chicago
Bryn Mawr College
Is there any college here that does not fulfill most of my criteria?
Also, I am desperately looking for safety schools - perhaps due to my anxiety issues, I am extremely worried that one-and-a-half years later I will not be accepted to any school.
Any other comments (on chances or other things) and suggestions are also welcome
Thanks, and have a nice day!