Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
College Confidential’s “Dean,” Sally Rubenstone, put together 25 of her best tips. So far, the "25 Tips from the Dean" eBook has helped more than 10K students choose a college, get in, and pay for it. Get your free copy: http://goo.gl/9zDJTM

Before you ask which colleges to apply to, please consider...

2»

Replies to: Before you ask which colleges to apply to, please consider...

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 59,767 Senior Member
    Maggpie wrote:
    I just did EFC's at 7 or 8 schools for my son who's a junior. Almost all schools came back with a net price between $25 and $30,000. The most expensive was a big public school flagship - a big $0 in merits or grants. Our net cost would be $42,000.

Public schools discount their prices for in-state students and tend to offer their best financial aid and scholarships to in-state students. $42,000 net price seems like for an out-of-state public school that does not feel that it needs to discount its price to attract good out-of-state students.
  • whenhenwhenhen Registered User Posts: 5,613 Senior Member
    Fifthing the sticky request.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 59,767 Senior Member
    Seems like this is the season for high school seniors to ask for college suggestions, often without considering these points (particularly point 1).
  • jkeil911jkeil911 Registered User Posts: 6,009 Senior Member
    I'm glad to have this back.
  • jtmoneyjtmoney Registered User Posts: 343 Member
    Sticky request. Those who read it will improve the quality of their suggestions. Another suggestion, get a FAFSA EFC estimate, takes very little time at FAFSA 4CASTER, and warms you up for the feel of filling out the real FAFSA. Doing it first makes filling out net price calculators easier.
    well said.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 23,484 Super Moderator
    Thread has been stickied.
  • LucieTheLakieLucieTheLakie Registered User Posts: 3,730 Senior Member
    Thank you for the sticky!

I actually think it should be posted atop the forums of every popular state flagship on CC (Penn State, hello???) and every pricey private that doesn't offer legitimate merit money (NYU, I'm talking to you!).
2»
This discussion has been closed.